Thread: Cleaning/protect pontoons

Default Cleaning/protect pontoons

What can I use to clean and protect the pontoons on my one man cat. I can see were its starting to fade on the open sun exposed areas. Thanks Hillbilly

Call the manufacturer and ask them if they would recommend Aerospace 303. I use it personally, but the fabric of your raft will dictate it's efficacy.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___71270
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Simple Green is a good all-around cleaner that won't harm your fabric. Ditto on the 303 Protectant, BTW. Stay away from Armor-All! It penetrates the fabric and you won't get a patch to hold. Bad stuff for inflatables.

You mentioned fading. I'm not convinced that the above-mentioned products will totally prevent that. Best bet is to store the boat in a covered area out of the sun. Failing that, I tarp mine during the summer.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the help. Glad I held off on the armor all! Hillbilly

Yep, sounds like you almost went down a slippery slope
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Do not use WD-40 as a cleaning agent.
    If you do, don't report it to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Do not use WD-40 as a cleaning agent.

Any personal experience Dennis?

Sounds like it may be

...dan...
    A long time ago, on a forum not far away...
    ...I admitted to the five year occasional summertime use of a product that very effectively removed those dark marks caused by the raft frame....
    .....although the raft(s) suffer no visible short term or long term damage...
    .....I received some stinging advice and corrective action comments...
    ...fortunately, through a long term counseling program involving hundreds of rafting sessions, I have nearly fully recovered.
    Well, I thought I had recovered, until I experienced the flaskbacks that resulted from this recurring thread question....
    SO DO NOT USE WD-40, and I'm not kidding!
    Therefore, I'll continue on my therapeutic treatment program by going rafting again this weekend.

Sorry for causeing undo stress. I did several searches with no luck. Good luck with the counseling sessions. Hillbilly

...dan...
    A long time ago, on a forum not far away...
    ...I admitted to the five year occasional summertime use of a product that very effectively removed those dark marks caused by the raft frame....
    .....although the raft(s) suffer no visible short term or long term damage...
    .....I received some stinging advice and corrective action comments...
    ...fortunately, through a long term counseling program involving hundreds of rafting sessions, I have nearly fully recovered.
    Well, I thought I had recovered, until I experienced the flaskbacks that resulted from this recurring thread question....
    SO DO NOT USE WD-40, and I'm not kidding!
    Therefore, I'll continue on my therapeutic treatment program by going rafting again this weekend.

Now that is some funny shet right there.

Simple mistake using WD-40. Hell, it has like 1,000+ uses. I wouldn't have known not to use it on the raft either. Maybe the guys giving the "stinging advice" used it once upon a time as well.

Perhaps you talking about it flared up their PTSD

-Dan