Thread: Left or Right out of Resurrection Bay

Default Left or Right out of Resurrection Bay

Which way is better for halibut and lings out of Resurrection Bay? East towards Johnstone Bay, Cape Junken, Montegue, or West towards Thunder Bay? What other areas are good for those fish to the West? It looks like a shorter trip to the West. Thanks.

I go east, good chichen fishing with a few 130# mixed in. Lots of silvers and pinks also.

I vote for left, Day Harbor to North ?

Both directions offer great opportunities for either species. There is some really good fishing in the area you were talking about out west and only get better as you go further. You're going to be running into more boat traffic out east, but I think the halibut fishing on average is better. to me it's a toss up and I chose which way I go based on weather.. Just be make sure you go left or right cause it would be real lonely if you keep going straight. good luck
    Boatless

I was waiting for Chain Link to post, since the little I know about this I learned from him. I left Seward for the year for PWS before I had a chance to tag along on one of his trips to the west. Hopefully this will work out next year. To expand on what he was saying, when the wind is out of the east, head east. That way if it picks up, you have it at your stern and don't have to pound into it on the way home.

As for the distance, I thought the same thing, that it was shorter out to the west. Others pointed out in a past thread that the west point of the bay is 10-15NM further than the east side, so it is actually farther when heading out west (at least where they go) than to Montague.

Also, I have been warned to watch Aialik point, especially with winds out of the south and an ebb tide. It can get really big and stacked up here.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I was waiting for Chain Link to post, since the little I know about this I learned from him. I left Seward for the year for PWS before I had a chance to tag along on one of his trips to the west. Hopefully this will work out next year. To expand on what he was saying, when the wind is out of the east, head east. That way if it picks up, you have it at your stern and don't have to pound into it on the way home.

As for the distance, I thought the same thing, that it was shorter out to the west. Others pointed out in a past thread that the west point of the bay is 10-15NM further than the east side, so it is actually farther when heading out west (at least where they go) than to Montague.

Also, I have been warned to watch Aialik point, especially with winds out of the south and an ebb tide. It can get really big and stacked up here.
    Huge isn't a word for it. It gets stupid huge at the mouth of Aialik with a strong southish wind and a large tidal swing out of the bay there. In general, I would say it sucks......Conditions seems to frequently go from wild as a washing machine to mild as a backyard pond in a matter of an hour or two.

Cape Ailiak can get nautical quickly if you are not watching the weather. But Cape Resurrection can get ugly as well. There is always north from the boat harbor to Safeway