Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody shoot a fixed 6x rifle scope?

Default Anybody shoot a fixed 6x rifle scope?

I was considering the fixed 6x rifle scope to be a no-nonsense scope atop a mountain rifle. Anybody out there shooting one? I notice leupold sells one that has an adjustable objective with target knobs, and a very light-weight scope at that. Weaver and Burris also had fixed 6x power scopes that were also equally light and simple. I would consider this to be a perfect scope for country above the timberline when hunting sheep and goat.......
    especially when combined with open sights. You could drop the scope and continue using the open sights as a bear protection rifle.

matnaggewinu

A fixed 6x is easily my favorite. All of my rifles, with the exception of 1 wears a Leupold 6x42.

I have an older 6X Leupold on my .264 Win Mag, it does everything I need it to.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I love the fixed 6x- the perfect mountain rifle scope IMHO. I have one on a 308 and I'm seriously considering swapping my fixed 4x to my .338 and getting another 6x for my .300.

I really like the FXII 6x36mm- simple and maintains a low profile on the rifle. Not really sure how much I care for the adjustable objective and target turrets on a hunting scope but some like them.

I have an Leupold FXIII 6 power by 42mm on one of my rifles. It is an excellent scope.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I was considering the fixed 6x rifle scope to be a no-nonsense scope atop a mountain rifle. Anybody out there shooting one? I notice leupold sells one that has an adjustable objective with target knobs, and a very light-weight scope at that. Weaver and Burris also had fixed 6x power scopes that were also equally light and simple. I would consider this to be a perfect scope for country above the timberline when hunting sheep and goat.......
    especially when combined with open sights. You could drop the scope and continue using the open sights as a bear protection rifle.
    IMO there is not too much to not like in a fixed 6X. The problem is that in reality there are very few selections and some of them are not that good. The Weaver 6X (K6) is a good, but not great scope. I've had too many issues to trust them on a dedicated hunting rifle. I have used the Weaver Grand Slam 4.75X a good bit and it is a very good scope. Its been discontinued for a couple years now, but you might find one used at a very reasonable price. I remember that you are a Burris fan and while Burris has made great scopes in the past I can't say anything about their new line--just haven't used them lately. Concerning their older models, optically their fixed 4X & 6X were very good and the scopes were/are rugged, but eye relief tends to be shorter and more critical than I care for and Burris scopes used to be heavy. A fixed 6X Burris was heavier than a 2-7/3-9 Leupold so the advantage of their 6X is limited/non-existent IMO. Leupold has long made the 6x36 and 6x42 and both are good scopes. The 42 is much better and I can see no purpose in the 36 personally, but I'd not call it a bad decision if you go the 6x36 route--its just much inferior to the 6x42. I've a 6x42 on a 6mm Rem and it is not wanting in any category. Some like more magnification for LR shooting, but the truth is the 6X will allow precise aiming on big game at very LR.

I've considered exchanging a few variables for some 6X units but budget constraints and my hunting style doesn't warrant the change on many of my rifles as I hunt a good many animals fairly close. The only disadvantage that concerns me is in very tight quarters (<25 yards) the FOV is limited. Otherwise they are an excellent choice for hunting big game IME.
    Esse quam videri

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    . Leupold has long made the 6x36 and 6x42 and both are good scopes. The 42 is much better and I can see no purpose in the 36 personally, but I'd not call it a bad decision if you go the 6x36 route--its just much inferior to the 6x42.... Some like more magnification for LR shooting, but the truth is the 6X will allow precise aiming on big game at very LR..
    The only disadavantage I've found in the 6x42 is that its somewhat heavier and dimensionally larger but that's strictly from an aesthtics point of view. I bought a 6x36 for a short action flyweight so I chose it based on size alone since I wanted to mount it low and keep weight to an absolute minimum. I will readily admit the 6x42 is optically superior but I've comfortablly used both scopes. Heck, thinking about I may just stick a 6x42 on my .338 and call it a day.

I agree with not needing more magnification on big game- I was scouting on a bull yesterday at 11:00pm and my 4x was plenty bright and plenty of magnification to make the shot and I was well outside of what I'd consider maximum range and decent shooting light.

I really think the world (at least MY world) needs a better selection of premium fixed power scopes. Leupold has little competition in the market these days. I missed out on the Zeiss 4x32s (apparently discontinued they're so popular) and I think the Schmidt and Benders cost (and weigh) too darn much. Haven't seen a Burris yet. Nothing else I've seen impresses me too much in fixed powers and most seem sort of low end (just an impression, not a fact).

Remember the old straight 8 power Leupolds???
    Man those were nice.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Another vote for Leupold's 6x42. I've had one on a .270 win. for quite a few years now and it nevers leaves me wanting. It's a little tight in the bush but has accounted for a few moose in the trees. Exceptional light gathering.

I have a 6x leupold with a dot and it's always been one of my favorites
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

It's nice to see folks are using these fixed power scopes in the field. My moose/caribou/and bear rifles use a variable powered scope. I prefer the 1.75-5 power and 1.5-6 power scopes, and to a certain degree....the 1-4 power too. But for above the tree line where shots are in open country for sheep and goat, I thought for a future scope, it really is hard to beat a fixed 6 power scope on an open-sighted rifle. It does appear Leupold has the most options for a fixed 6 power scope too. I want to say that at least a half dozen models showed up in an online search. No close-up work, and the possibility of shots around 300 yards or slightly beyond, I couldnt think of a better scope for that type of work. Simplicity, lightweight, but still practical and sensible.

matnaggewinu

I had a Redfield - Widefield fixed 6X on a Rem 700 ADL 6mm and it was a great combo. Shot a ton of coyotes and fox with it - a couple deer as well. That combo was always on target and just was a pleasure to shoot....The widefield was a plus for close shots....
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

The leupold 6x42 is my hunting scope of choice. Learn to shoot with both eyes open and you'll not need to remove it for close in shots.

I'd hoped that the weaver k6 would be a less expensive alternative, but I've found it has insufficient eye relief and a I don't care for the reticle. It's ok on my daughters 221 fireball, but I wouldn't put one on a big game rifle.

i use a tasco super sniper model on my air rifle for brenchrest shooting and it works great for my shooting program ..

If I was going to go the fixed 6 route this would be the one for me!

But I doubt that I will jump on the fixed for anything besides my grouse gun. That Swaro Z3 3-9 sure is looking sweet though...

Leupold M8 6X with A/O on a 700 Mt. rifle chambered in 280 Remington here.

My first 22-250 a tang safety Ruger of mid 70's vintage came with a K6 Weaver on it. That scope swapped guns a couple of times but was my coyote getter for the last 35 years. Never a problem with it until I dropped it on its head a year ago. I replaced it with a new Redfield 3x9 that was on the shelf. A 6X of some variety will be back on it before the snow flies though. The 3X9 doesn't cut it....a head thing I think!

hi mainer; i use fixed power scopes as a rule and find both 4X and 6X to be excellent all around use scopes. of course some will argue that for close range work (20 yds or less) they are not practical, but in my shooting experience they have worked very well. this 6X36 compact scope is light, tough, and accurate offering over 17 .5 ft field of view @ 100yds.
    Last edited by pinehavensredrocket; 08-10-2010 at 05:10. Reason: more info
    happy trails.
    jh

Nice looking set up PineH, is that a Leupold? And what caliber is it riding on?
    Well done!
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

hi smokey; this is a kimber montana 8400 in 30-06, talley ringmounts, and leupold fx-ll 6X scope. it is a new favorite that is a treat to carry and shoot.
    happy trails.
    jh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast