Thread: Kodiak Hunting Lodges

Default Kodiak Hunting Lodges

Anybody ever hunter at either Alpen View or Zachar Bay lodges on Kodiak? Opinions? Reviews?

I hunt Zachar Bay every year and I have always had a good hunt. There are low areas you can push through but there is also plenty of opportunity to get high if you like to climb. Nice bucks may be taken anywhere from sea level to way up high. The problem with down low is that it is thick and getting a shot can be challenge. At about the 1,000 foot level, it starts to thin out which allows you to see more area.

Each morning, the lodge operator will put your party in a skiff and take you pretty much anywhere in the bay you want and drop you off. He will come back that afternoon at an agreed upon time and pick you up. If you have a handheld VHF and want an earlier pickup, you can call and they will come get you.

They have a large meat house with tables and hooks where you can hang your meat. It stays cool and the doors are closed to prevent any critters getting to your meat.

They run a generator in the morning and again in the late afternoon/evenings. So you have lights and even a microwave in the cabins. The toilets are in a central bathhouse. There is a shower in the bath house as well. There are different sized cabins, one sleeps 2, another sleeps 4, and the larger one sleeps about 8 I think. Each cabin has an oil burning heater and a gas cooking stove.

If your primary objective is to get a record book buck, other more remote (less hunted) areas might be best. If your objective is to shoot some good bucks and put some meat in the freezer, this is a good place to go.

So far as other animals go, fox are common. And oh by the way, there are plenty of brown bear in the bay (drawing permit) and goat way up high.

If you haven't see it yet, check out the lodge web site at: http://www.zacharbay.com

Bottom line, some years are better than others so far as the hunting goes. You takes what you gets. However, I've always been happy with the lodge and the folks that run it. Years ago, I used to think lodges were for old men. However, now that I'm getting older I've discovered that there is no dishonor in being warm and comfortable at the end of a hard day.
    Last edited by Boater; 08-09-2010 at 15:47. Reason: missing info

Thanks Boater!