Thread: Caribou hunting permit for Swanson area...

Default Caribou hunting permit for Swanson area...

I have a permit for the Swanson area for caribou but I am unfamiliar with the area. Born and raised here but never been to that area, any one have breadcrumbs or tidbits for me to follow with my son? Is it 4 wheeler friendly area or canoe only?

Which Swanson area, what are you thinking on doing

Swanson river Kenai Peninsula? No 4 wheelers and not much for caribou. I would float the swanson and pick a nice swamp along the way to put a tree stand up. Good chance of getting a moose or black bear that way too.

I was thinking originaly of walking around the point out of Hope with my son for a few days and trying for bou in the Big Indian creek area, but someone else mentioned they saw bou near the end of Marathon rd? Not sure ....looking for a bit more info on the areas the bou hang out in.

If you're referring to the Kenai Mts DC001 permit, the caribou hang out up in the mountains - usually near the very top of the ridges. Of the approximately 10 times I have seen caribou up there, they have never been below 3,000 feet elevation. There is no ATV access to speak of. This is a hike, bike, or horseback hunt - but more than anything, a climbing hunt.

Yes, this is the hunt I was referring to..thx for the info. This is kind of what adf&g told me and they also said they primarilary have found them in the Big Indian creek area...True?

Try devils pass there are caribou up there but its a ways in if I draw this area again I will get a trailer for my bike and hunt that way. It is a long easy climb to there about 9 miles if I remember right and a very good trail in but once you find them they are up on the hills. I have hunted the end of marathon for moose several times and its not worth the time to head out there for bou and I am not 100% sure this is in the hunt area. I also have friends that have hunted this and got caribou above summit lake in the early part of the season by taking sumit lake trail in its a lot shorter walk but steeper to get to where the bou are. Hope this helps and good luck there are some realy nice bulls there...

Sturgeous the Swanson River area is not part of your area for your caribou tag. Check out your hunt area please. Hunt devils pass trail, summit lake trail, road going to Hope you need to get up high, there in the snow. This is a very difficult hunt to be successful on, lots of work. Bike reserrecution trail start at Hope go 10 or 15 miles in, hunt the passes up top.

Sounds good, I think I will take your advice and set up a trailer for my bike and head up in the devils creek way. When getting up in there should I tend to work towards the left side of reurection pass?( like towards swan lake)., would it be worth renting the cabin?

Thx Trakn, All this feedback helps us alot.. will do my homework on the permit area also. Just recall north of sterling hwy and west of seward, but there is alot more to look into. Thx again.

Sturgeous,
    Check the mountain bike section on the trailer thread if you don't already own a trailer there is some good reading in there. Res, and Devils Pass trail is all pretty much Single track riding so your going to want a single wheeled trailer that tows in line with your bike. I use a BOB Ibex and I've hauled over a hundred pounds in it.

Sturgeous I would not rent a cabin. I'd go light and stay up top this is more of a sheep hunt. The caribou are all over or where you find them I would say to hunt back toward the west or north west toward chickalon flats. Go to Hope bike in 8 to 10 miles hide the bike go in on right side of trail get up high,camp and glass. Don't walk any father than you have to, to get one out.