Thread: Dog Beater on the Salcha River

Angry Dog Beater on the Salcha River

The wife and I thought we were about to have a nice Saturday morning of fishing the Salcha when all that came to a halt. With only one other truck (and a family camping) on the gravel bar we proceeded to fish. My wife was fishing close to this campsite where a military guy and his daughter were fishing. This guy had a dog with him (in a bright orange float vest) and started to yell at this dog for everything he did from sniffing the ground to not walking or sitting where it should. Unknown to me as I was fishing further away, my wife witnessed this idiot punching/slapping the dog for disobeying. When I walked back over to where she was standing, she was obviously upset with what she had been seeing. As I was tying on a new lure, this guy physically put the dog to the ground, slamming its head down with both hands. At that point my wife went over and gave him an earful. The coward could only say it was a "working dog' and to leave his campsite as he had kids with him. He was military but would not identify himself when I asked. At this point we walked away before it got ugly. At least the poor dog didnít get hit again that morning. If you know this clown, ask him why he beats his dog? Is that acceptable for a working (hunting) dog? Hmmm, didn't anyone learn anything from Michael Vick? Anyway, without totally profiling or identifying this fool, he drives a blue F250 pick-up truck, is military, and talks with a strong southern drawl. Tell him we don't abuse our dogs here in Alaska. Maybe in the moonshine woods they do, but not here! Shame on this jerk for hurting an innocent animal. I'm sure they'll be a hundred country folk defending this fool, but that dog was abused an cowered at this guy..he had been beat down that bad..and we saw it. Shame shame shame. Would have called the cops but had no phone..lucky for him! He has been reported to animal control though!

what a lousy excuse for a human being. He will think twice when that dog shows him that he has had enough of his macho sh*t! That just pisses me off to even think of someone harming a family member, working dog or not!

I'm not hear to defend the guy what so ever as what you described is ridiculous but you may have gone off the rocker saying..."maybe in the moonshine woods they do..."

your post went from making legitimate complaint about someone who was way out of bounds to making a ridiculous stereotypical statement. Sorry to break the news to you but there are folks who beat their dog in every state...including Alaska.

Default Sorry I wasnt so PC..

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    I'm not hear to defend the guy what so ever as what you described is ridiculous but you may have gone off the rocker saying..."maybe in the moonshine woods they do..."

your post went from making legitimate complaint about someone who was way out of bounds to making a ridiculous stereotypical statement. Sorry to break the news to you but there are folks who beat their dog in every state...including Alaska.
    I know there are animal abusers everywhere, I meant as a culture in this state...remember Michael Vick said it was a normal thing to beat dogs in his "neck of the woods". So...off my rocker, not quite. Seeing someone obviously new to this state, acting out in ways not acceptable here in Alaska is more like it. This guy obviously comes from somewhere in the "lower" 48 where he was brought up thinking it was OK to abuse an animal. You don't wake up one day and say, I'm gonna beat the #### out of the family pet because he didnt sit in the right spot! Oh, and regardless of my personal opinions and beliefs, beating up a dog is normally seen as a cowardly act..so defend that if you must. I do appreciate your opinion.. thx

Dude i dont agree with this jerk beating his dog but what does him being in the military have to do with it. As someone already stated there are dog beaters everywhere not just in the south as you stated. I understand you and the wife being upset but but dont lump all us southern military in with this idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    The wife and I thought we were about to have a nice Saturday morning of fishing the Salcha when all that came to a halt. With only one other truck (and a family camping) on the gravel bar we proceeded to fish. My wife was fishing close to this campsite where a military guy and his daughter were fishing. This guy had a dog with him (in a bright orange float vest) and started to yell at this dog for everything he did from sniffing the ground to not walking or sitting where it should. Unknown to me as I was fishing further away, my wife witnessed this idiot punching/slapping the dog for disobeying. When I walked back over to where she was standing, she was obviously upset with what she had been seeing. As I was tying on a new lure, this guy physically put the dog to the ground, slamming its head down with both hands. At that point my wife went over and gave him an earful. The coward could only say it was a "working dog' and to leave his campsite as he had kids with him. He was military but would not identify himself when I asked. At this point we walked away before it got ugly. At least the poor dog didn’t get hit again that morning. If you know this clown, ask him why he beats his dog? Is that acceptable for a working (hunting) dog? Hmmm, didn't anyone learn anything from Michael Vick? Anyway, without totally profiling or identifying this fool, he drives a blue F250 pick-up truck, is military, and talks with a strong southern drawl. Tell him we don't abuse our dogs here in Alaska. Maybe in the moonshine woods they do, but not here! Shame on this jerk for hurting an innocent animal. I'm sure they'll be a hundred country folk defending this fool, but that dog was abused an cowered at this guy..he had been beat down that bad..and we saw it. Shame shame shame. Would have called the cops but had no phone..lucky for him! He has been reported to animal control though!

defend that if you must? Ugh I'm not defending the guy...reference the first sentence of my post. What does Michael Vick have anything to do with some idiot beating his dog on the Salcha? So just because Michael Vick says, "it was normal in his neck of the woods" makes it 100 percent true that its acceptable to beat dogs in the moonshine woods?
    Unfortunately, there are folks from Alaska and every other state that steal dogs, dig out their micro-chips then turn around and sell the animal or puts the dog in the fighting scene. Oh, and the moral of the story is that it's alive and well here and every where else in the "Lower" 48.

maybe the dog deserved it! yee haw! u know dogs are not equal to humans right?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    Dude i dont agree with this jerk beating his dog but what does him being in the military have to do with it. As someone already stated there are dog beaters everywhere not just in the south as you stated. I understand you and the wife being upset but but dont lump all us southern military in with this idiot.

Totally agree. This guy being in the military has nothing to do with the situation. I've seen a couple people make stereotypical statements about the military on here as if we come up here for a few years, destroy the place, act a fool, and then on to the next destination to destroy. I'm tired of it and it's offensive to us military members. I've seen life long Alaskans treat this place as bad, if not worse, than most military members.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Point made, I'm locking this.

Steve