Thread: Deer hunting PWS early season

Default Deer hunting PWS early season

I am not looking for anyones secret spot but I am going to take a run down in two weeks to hunt deer for the first time in PWS. I have wanted to hunt this area so much that I finally just bought my own boat to get there, now I dont have any clue where to go over there. I plan to hunt high as I know that they are up there early in the season but if someone would respond and give me some info on this area I plan to hunt either knight or montegue, all I want for info is which island would be better and mabye a good place to park a boat for a few days that has access to the shore. Also is there anyplace I should stay away from IE. miserable hike no access to the top bad anchorage etc. Thanks for the info and help. I have looked through the arcives and there is not much on early hunts.

Looks like I will head to lower hering bay and start there

Been my experience Knight Island is tough hunting, meaning most of it is like an over grown jungle. If it were me, I would go back to Montague.

Tony, Knight isl. is wonderful hunting and for the most part EASY walking. I have hunted most every isl. out there and Knight isl. and Green isl. are my favorite's. Both have goood deer if there was an easy winter on them before hand. Perry isl. also has good access through the lagoon on the south side near the oyster farm and i have dragged them out of the hills there, sometime down into another bay and then retreive them via boat. As for Knight isl, beware of bay's where the wind come' out of the north/northwest in later fall...hard to hold an anchor. Marsha bay and Lower Herring do have good anchorage in the north of those bays and great walking access right on up, some areas is like field walking up the hill... be sure and take a halibut rod and work the kelp beds in as little as 35 feet of water...big but!!!!

Thanks Sturgeous for the info I hope to post some pics on here soon of some deer I am excited to go and chace some of those around for a few days

is there any deer on culross island??

kobie

hunted bear on culross this spring and saw fresh deer tracks all over but never a deer. easy hunting that island and great glassing as well.

TGJ

Tony,

did you ever end up going? I am going next Wednesday to Montague and I will post my trip report as soon as I am back.

how is the bear hunting on culross?

I don't know how culross is but when I was out there in early Sept. blackies were doing a lot of moving in the later afternoon to evenings. Sometime after 4 - 5:30 we were seeing lots of movement

Quote Originally Posted by kobie18 View Post
    how is the bear hunting on culross?
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Kobie
    took a 6-foot bear in spring. it is was the only one we saw on culross.
    TGJ