Thread: You have to love Seward when you hit it right...

Default You have to love Seward when you hit it right...

Seward along with just about all of Alaska has been a wet mess most of the year. I haven't gone out hardly at all this year because of it and with a slip in Seward and all the expense, it just get's darn expensive when you’re not using it. Not yesterday though...

Had just a guy's day with my son and daughters boyfriend going for Silvers and the sort. Decided to go outside the bay since the seas finally laid down to almost glass, sun was out shining bright in the morning and the clouds just seemed to evade us all day until we heading back in at 3:00.

On the way out we saw several whales, a pod of killer whales and then had porpoises follow us for about 30 minutes. Once fishing, we picked up 1 nice halibut and then a large black bass. Then it seemed to shut down.

After a nap I decided to move and headed over to a porpoise dance thinking maybe they were feeding on a bait. Found a bait ball and fishing turned into catching for the next couple of hours. Jokingly, I was telling the guy's about how another guy caught a porpoise out at Pony Cove and if you hook one, you better hold on and whatever you do, don't let go of the pole... What are the chances right, well my son was bringing up a halibut maybe a 15 or 20lber and as soon as we saw the white of the butt, BAMM, off it goes at about 100MPH, my son yells "what the #$^" and for the next several minutes he was running all over the boat and just about lost all his line so I took the rod and actually turned him twice and saw he was getting a little winded. Not to mention us too. I was finally able to tighten the line enough to get my 80lb tuff line to break.

After we talked about it for a bit we got our lines back in the water and continued our catching frenzy until we limited out on butt's, silvers and bass. All in all what a blast of a day. No real hogs for butt's but nice 20/30lbers and not one pink in all the coho's we got.

The sad part was I forgot a camera for this trip so we only have our memories for this day but a blast no less. Once back at the docks I saw that most, if not all the captains did as well or better with Lings, and hog's. Coho's seemed harder for them but I don't they fished for them.

Tight lines and safe boating.
    Tony

Sounds like a really fun time out.

Glad you kept your rod, but this reminds me of why I always keep knives handy on a boat, you never know when your gear, your boat, or even your life depends on QUICKLY cutting a rope or line.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Seward along with just about all of Alaska has been a wet mess most of the year. I haven't gone out hardly at all this year because of it and with a slip in Seward and all the expense, it just get's darn expensive when you’re not using it. Not yesterday though...

Had just a guy's day with my son and daughters boyfriend going for Silvers and the sort. Decided to go outside the bay since the seas finally laid down to almost glass, sun was out shining bright in the morning and the clouds just seemed to evade us all day until we heading back in at 3:00.

On the way out we saw several whales, a pod of killer whales and then had porpoises follow us for about 30 minutes. Once fishing, we picked up 1 nice halibut and then a large black bass. Then it seemed to shut down.

After a nap I decided to move and headed over to a porpoise dance thinking maybe they were feeding on a bait. Found a bait ball and fishing turned into catching for the next couple of hours. Jokingly, I was telling the guy's about how another guy caught a porpoise out at Pony Cove and if you hook one, you better hold on and whatever you do, don't let go of the pole... What are the chances right, well my son was bringing up a halibut maybe a 15 or 20lber and as soon as we saw the white of the butt, BAMM, off it goes at about 100MPH, my son yells "what the #$^" and for the next several minutes he was running all over the boat and just about lost all his line so I took the rod and actually turned him twice and saw he was getting a little winded. Not to mention us too. I was finally able to tighten the line enough to get my 80lb tuff line to break.

After we talked about it for a bit we got our lines back in the water and continued our catching frenzy until we limited out on butt's, silvers and bass. All in all what a blast of a day. No real hogs for butt's but nice 20/30lbers and not one pink in all the coho's we got.

The sad part was I forgot a camera for this trip so we only have our memories for this day but a blast no less. Once back at the docks I saw that most, if not all the captains did as well or better with Lings, and hog's. Coho's seemed harder for them but I don't they fished for them.

Question: How did you hook him since you had a halibut on? It didn't grab the halibut, right?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post

Saturday was lovely until the afternoon when it started pouring down rain.....The rain reminded me of Friday.....I went over to Johnstone Bay both days and it was a bit lumpy over there with some annoying swell. Nothing to complain about though and as you noted, the fishing was good. I had what I suspect was a huge hog on over there and lost it as my leader was somehow severed in the fight

Have talked to two diferent charter captians this year that have had encounters with Dahl's porpoises stealing catch and spooling the reel's, they thought their numbers were increasing and becoming more of a nusance.

I still think that they are cool though

HainsAKfisherman, I agree, I have knives all over the boat including one tied to my bib's. Wasn't really needing it at the moment but had I needed I would have cut the line.

Wildhog, I am not sure if I hooked it or not, but if it wasn't hooked then they have one heck of a jaw to be able to hold on like it did. The whole thing lasted only a few minutes and had I not had the gear I was using, i.e. Avet 2 speed real with a nice Wright Mcgill rod I am not sure what would have happened.

In truth, it was blast to experience and I think it turned out okay. I hope it got away unharmed and will live to provide the entertainment I usually see with them. As ocnfish say's they are cool.

In truth the day was just a great day of fun and we caught a mess of fish, and nothing really broke on the boat so it was a great day. Matter of fact, just had the halibut for dinner and it was mighty tasty...
    Tony