Thread: Lingcod tips?

Default Lingcod tips?

Spent two days on the water out of Homer on the 5th and 6th and we had some great weather. So we took advantage of it and ran down to the Chugach islands (mainly Perl and E. Chugach) and caught our Halibut and went and looked for Lings. We caught 8 but all were too small to keep, with the biggest around 30". We fished in 30-100' of water on the edge of kelp beds and rocky areas but couldn't find any legal ones. Do I need to fish deeper, look for other structure? We spent 6 full hours and had nothing to show. It's historically a good area but I was a bit disappointed and confused. Maybe those areas have been picked over by the charters? I don't know.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My guess is that this late in the game the area has been hammered. Sounds like you`re doing the right things as far as structure goes...to up your odds try off-shore structure for bigger fish...harder to find but usually good results. Heck, I`ve caught more legal size Lings this year trolling open water over humps than I have actually targeting them.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    My guess is that this late in the game the area has been hammered. Sounds like you`re doing the right things as far as structure goes...to up your odds try off-shore structure for bigger fish...harder to find but usually good results. Heck, I`ve caught more legal size Lings this year trolling open water over humps than I have actually targeting them.

I think you are probably right. We had a couple of legal Lings on that found a way to get off the hook. We needed this weather earlier in the season.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

use bigger bait?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    use bigger bait?
    We were using Boneyard baits jigs and big footlong horse herring. I think AZ is right, the charter boats have probably hammered it pretty good since the opener last month.

The biggest lings like to be at the very highest spot on the rockpile. If their is a rockpile that is 180ft, and one little area that comes up to 150ft, I'll usually find the dominant ling on the 150' and the smaller lings around the edges.

Default structure is important

I usually run out of Seward and I have found lots of legal lings on an underwater hills. They hit anything, including the rockfish that you leave out in the open. Most effictive method I have found is to start up current from the hill/structure and drift over it, jigging with a white tail, usually run to Ellerington or Montague. Yes the charters hit them hard the begining of July but I think I have a few spot's not on any of their GPS's
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for the advice guys. I'll have to give it a go next year though.... Got sheep hunting and a big moose hunt to fill out the fall.

Being a charter operator I talk to other charter operators and the consensus is that the area is hammered and the only way to get decent lings is to just go further than anyone else, which is something I don't feel like doing.

And you were fishing too shallow and in the wrong area for bigger lings. Like you and others have said look for deep water structure.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    And you were fishing too shallow and in the wrong area for bigger lings. Like you and others have said look for deep water structure.
    I don't know about that. Last year AKGrey went out right after the opener in the same general area and they HAMMERED some big Lings, in roughly the same amount of water, 30-150'.

But I will def. be trying deeper water next year for sure.

Pike Place you were probualy in good Ling spots as you said. I've seen Lings go off the bite and only go back on maybe a day or too later. Don't give up on the spot just have 2 or 3 spots to fish and move around to find them. I do like to fish deep for them 150' give or take 50. I've seen were at 200' there was a lot more bigger fish holding. So any way try try again and move around.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I don't know about that. Last year AKGrey went out right after the opener in the same general area and they HAMMERED some big Lings, in roughly the same amount of water, 30-150'.

But I will def. be trying deeper water next year for sure.
    Take note of what you said about "right after the opener." Yup. Right after the opener they are everywhere. You went out 5 weeks after the opener. They weren't where they were "right after the opener." Hmmmmmmmmm......

There are a ****load of charter operators and private boats working those lings for those 5 weeks. They are pretty territorial fish and they get fished out really easily. If someone HAMMERED the fish somewhere on opening day that isn't a good indicator they'll be there over a month later.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I guess you are right Muttley. I figured with the weather as fickle as it is down there that a legal ling or two wouldn't be too hard to come up with. But they have some pretty big boats that can get down there fairly often so I'm not too surprised they've cleaned it up pretty good.

Yep - good to see the liners aren't the only ones scooping up the fish.......

I was out on a charter out of Valdez this year - a well respected charter that has fished the should for 26 years. He basically said that the old grey mare ain't what she used to be. He is a very reasonable and likeable guy who openly admits that it is due simply to too much pressure from everyone - including himself and the charter fleet, personal boats, longliners...everyone has an effect and there are just too many users.

Of course I am hypocritical too because I wanted to kill my limit of fish....I know that. He fished us for 14 hours trying to get the last two butts that we never got for the boats limit...first time he ever missed a limit he said.

Like Muttley and others say, they get hammered. It is hard for the average boater to compete with a big charter boat. They run further daily and fish for a living. Since the days of the buffalo, beaver and duck hunters history has proven that any time a resource is subjected to commercial use the resource is depleted. North America is full of stories of fish stocks being depleted because of commercial use. Ling's are harder to find then they are to catch.

26 years and its the "first time he's missed a limit" uh huh.....in PWS - he probably has missed his limit a number of times - each season for 26 seasons.

The Sound is not overfished - its just harder to fish than Homer, always has been and always will be - period.

Im not even going to mention the cyclical nature of fish....too many johnny come lately's already know all the answers