Thread: Trolling Bucktails for Silvers

Default Trolling Bucktails for Silvers

Hi all,

I'll be fishing in Ketchikan in early Septemeber and I'm thinking about trolling bucktails on my 8wt fly rod to mix things up a bit. I fished around Clover Pass last year and did will with cut plug herring on it's own and with an 8" flasher. I have not tried bucktails before, so I have a few questions I'm hoping might get answered.

- I have heard to fish them 30-50 feet from the boat in the prop wash. Should I fish them right on the surface or with a little weight to get them down?

- Can I or Should I fish them with a little ProChip flasher? I have a few 8", 4", so am wondering if this would help. Again, if I'm using a flasher, I'm guessing I'll need to put on a little weight to get the flasher off the surface and actually flashing. Correct?

Any other help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

with a fly rod i would not use a flasher but i would put some weight on it. 1.5 oz should do it just fine though you may have to adjust depnding on how deep the fish are.

Juneau, Alaska

Yesterday I caught 2 separate silvers on hoochies that were skidding across the surface behind flashers as I was getting other rods attached to the down rigger wires. If there are Coho around bucktails will work just fine. I second kgpcr's recommendation against a flasher on a fly rod - mainly because of the amount of drag against the rod. IMHO I think any flasher would compromise the fun of playing a fish on the fly rod and would only provide limited advantage for bucktailing with that type of rod.

Two small spinners in front as shown will increase hookups exponentially.

A small weight 4-6' in front helps too-a lot depends on the bubbles from your motor-the best I have found is a 30 horse Yamaha 2 stroke they love those bubbles and seem to hang out just where they drop off.

Eagle River/ Juneau
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.