Thread: cleaning mil dew from wall tents help

Default cleaning mil dew from wall tents help

Hi
    I got a Alaskan tent and tarp wall tent I bought back in 95 when up in fairbanks, it has got some bad mildew stains, but other wise in good shape, Been tring to clean the mildew, stains up talked with them at ATT they told me to use ISSO, which I have over 120$ -8 cans worth with little results. First scrubing with a brush and sponge, and then took 4 cans and soaked it in a barrel over night, I have also used a presure washer to try and clean it sparying both from the inside and out side, it is still not very clean.
    I am about to try soaking it in a bleach water solution, I got no idea what kind of mixture I should use? maybe laundry detergent any one got any other idea's thanks for any help.

If the mildew stains are in patches you could maybe spray them with some bleach water or Clorox Clean-Up. It they're all over the tent, I'm not sure I'd want to subject it to that. But bleach is the only thing that'll get rid of mildew stains.
    Now what ?

what dose bleach do to the canvas, I know in the past I bean told that it should not be used.

Fill a large trash can about half full with bleach and water. Shove the tent in and agitate with a stick for several minutes. Lay it out on a big plastic tarp and rinse the bleach out. You may not remove all the stain but you'll kill the mold. The bleach won't hurt it if you rinse it thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by birchhillcamps View Post
    what dose bleach do to the canvas, I know in the past I bean told that it should not be used.
    It'll just bleach out white spots on the canvas, otherwise it won't hurt it.
    Now what ?

well I put it in a plastic barrel with 20 gallons of water, 4 cups of bleach and 1 cup of dish soap, let it set for about 2 hours steering it up and working it around, it did help a few spots left but looks 95 % better. Also got the dirt out from under my finger nails!
    For the record though Alaska tent an tarp did respond to a e-mail and told me not to use bleach that it will deteriorate the canvass, so if your like me and try to search old treads for info, and some time has pasted, send a e-mail and i will let you know how it has held up. and thanks for all the advice.-Steve

Alaska Tent and Tarp told me about the trash can. They said just be sure to rise well. Bleach is not good on canvas but neither is mold. I hoped for a nice sunny weekend this summer to spray my tent down with Canvak but it looks like that won't happen this year.