Thread: a new bug here; not a forum upgrade bug: overprinting

Default a new bug here; not a forum upgrade bug: overprinting

I know its popular to pick on the forum upgrade software thing, but this bug has appeared since the upgrade.

Some print overprints onto other printing onscreen, so you can't see one from the other.

To reproduce:
    With firefox and windoze: click on reply with quote. Its pretty much unusable. I have to click on Advanced just to see well enough to type a reply.

And even on this darn screen I'm typing on now, there is overprinting in the same dialog box I'm typing into (upper right corner) right this second. Plus also everything below this box (I'm typying into now) is overprinted beyond regcognition.

Are you guys using only MSIE to check out changes you do????? Argh.

This isn't the fault of the upgrade I think; it didn't appear then.

Good luck guys, and sorry you got your hands full here.

Default a picture is worth a thousand words

Here is what I see:

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    To reproduce:
    With firefox and windoze: click on reply with quote. Its pretty much unusable. I have to click on Advanced just to see well enough to type a reply.
    I don't get that, FamMan. Not at all. I use Firefox and frequently use the reply with quote feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't get that, FamMan. Not at all. I use Firefox and frequently use the reply with quote feature.
    Same here I just replied with quote and it worked like it always has. Granted I am using Google Chrome at the moment but no issues here.

I'm with Brian on this one. I use both FF and IE with no issues. I can understand the frustration though after seeing that picture!

Default more details, like stylesheets and screen resolutions

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    And right this second, I don't either. (I'm talking about here/now, replying to you.)

I got it steadily for a few days, always.

But Brian, I trust you do see the issue I describe in the screen shot I posted, right?

My HTML/web-page experience tells me a few things about this sort of problem:
    - it is impossible to cause this problem using "normal" HTML commands
    - it is relatively easy to cause this problem if you're using stylesheets to build web pages, and this site (i.e., vBulletin) uses stylesheets extensively.
    - when I've caused this problem in pages I've done, I find that most often it only happens for particular screen resolutions (defined by the user) combined by certain browser brands (chosen by the user) only. See your own personal screen resolution by going to your desktop (in Windoze) and right click on nothing, then choose Properties, then choose Settings. Mine is 1280x1024.
    - when I've caused this problem on pages it always has to do with stylesheet spacing commands combined by typeface choices, and oftentimes spacing specified in tables, spans, and the like.

Since I don't see it right now, it is also possible that Man1c was changing a stylesheet which caused the problem (though maybe only for my setup here, as mentioned), and then made another change which fixed it. Either the problem or the fix could have been a inadvertent side effect of some other change; its complicated stuff.

Brian, feel free to point Man1c to this post of mine and/or this thread if you want. Also I'm open to exchanging PMs with him, or a phone call if that would be his preference, in working to eliminate bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm with Brian on this one. I use both FF and IE with no issues. I can understand the frustration though after seeing that picture!
    Not frustrated. Just trying to help.