Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging age and score of sheep

Default Judging age and score of sheep

This thread is for educational purposes; to help inexperienced sheep hunters learn to count annuli and judge a ram. All pics appreciated but please include a side view with age (manditory) and any other measurements (ie base, length, rough score) if possible.

To those viewing the pics, and about to send a PM asking where the hunter shot the ram, the answer is either "Alaska" or "Through the heart/lungs".

Thanks for your participation.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

9 years old (possibly 10?), 38" - can't remember the base measurement and didn't have it officially scored.

A ram taken by a friend of mine........broomed & aged at 11 years old.

Good thread brno375.

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

BM and Ovis: Thanks for the pics.

Politicalbio, you can add your pics here. Thanks again.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

38", broomed on 1 side, aged at 12 yrs
    Last edited by Sheep Hunter; 03-02-2008 at 09:41.

Default A couple

First photo is my ram. 35.75 on the right side with 13.75 bases. 36.5 on the left. Aged at 9 years. Rough scored it at 152.

Second photo: My ram again showing the left side. The other ram is 33.25 and aged at 8 years. Even though we were sure it was full curl after looking at it for 30 minutes, three separate biologists had different opinions on it. One said full curl and 7 years; one said not full curl and 7 years; the head guy said not full curl and 8 years. I wouldn't recommend shooting one that close to borderline. We felt confident it was full curl in the field, but likely would have been ticketed if it wasn't 8 years old.

Last edited by Tater; 02-13-2007 at 10:26. Reason: Added B&C score

i think this will work..lol
    ram was 40.25 on the long side, 10 years old, talkeetna ram, sept 19 scored 3/4" shy of the book. bases i think were 13 something or other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

same sheep just a front view, and yes we shot it in the blueberries..one mile off the pick up lake, last day of the hunt...475 yards.
    Master guide 212

Default 160 or 170?

BRWNBR-
    You mean 3/4 shy of all-time (170) or award (160) because that's a beautiful ram but he doesn't look heavy enough with only 40 inch horns to be close to 170.

Default Tater

When did you get your Ram? I know that place. South or north of the lake?

Wink Who me? What lake?

North....or was it south. I don't remember exactly. I was pretty tired at the time. 2005. I do remember that.

the first book....ya know, the i made it almost so i'll get some credit book. not the holy crap look how much i lucked out book! it didn't have the mass, its second circumfrence measurement was the same as its bases on both sides if i recal right. big side was 40 1/4 and short side was 39 7/8th i think. so we what we lost in deductions would made the guy into the, look at me i almost got a really big one book.
    Master guide 212

Default 37" x 33" 13 1/4" bases, 10 yrs. old

You can see some of the annuli in both these pictures. The right horn is broomed I don't know if they would consider the left broomed or just worn but not much lamb tip left.

Default Fullcurl

Tater-Let's see another view of that 33 incher. We'll let you know if it's fullcurl. Most of us here are better judges than the biologists ;-)

man that 33" sure don't look like it'd pass the PVC test...or the toilet paper tube test or the ol' trooper eye ball it test. i know a few guides that would call it legal though..lol (no not me...geez) tough for me to say its not level in the pic and i wasn't there either...
    Master guide 212

Default yeah, what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Tater-Let's see another view of that 33 incher. We'll let you know if it's fullcurl. Most of us here are better judges than the biologists ;-)
    Right on!....Give us the red meat, tater.
    I'd better dinner that some of us here can age that ram better with a photo than some can in person at the F+G office!
    He looks shy of full 'specially with those lamb tips still pokin... Hes seven or eight....we need annulli, I say!
    Give us more meat!

") Frank

ok for kicks, heres a borderline sheep, take a stab at length, age and wether or not he's full curl...then i'll tell ya the "sealers" answers...i know age is tough, hard to see rings in this pic but just for grins...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ok for kicks, heres a borderline sheep, take a stab at length, age and wether or not he's full curl...then i'll tell ya the "sealers" answers...i know age is tough, hard to see rings in this pic but just for grins...
    I'll play. Deceptive pic..I'm gonna say he is bigger and older than what he looks in the pic.

37.5"
    Full curl by a smidgen
    Last edited by Jimmy Urban; 02-13-2007 at 20:23. Reason: Second guessing myself

Default ram.....

I'll play too......

34"
    7/8ths
    but he looks like he would make 8yrs old.

BTW, thats great you guys got that ram down in the berries. Makes for a cool story I'm sure.

ok couple guesses lets get some more, we've got alot of sheep guys in here, i think they scared to take a guess and be wayyy off...come on guys....lets give it a shot...take a guess.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast