Thread: Which Ugly Stick combo for silvers in the Mat-Su valley??

Default Which Ugly Stick combo for silvers in the Mat-Su valley??

After five years of fishing with guides, my buddy has convinced me to give it a try on my own.

I know Wal-Mart sells a few different Ugly Stick combos. Which one would you guys recommend for silvers in the Mat-Su valley?

60 medium action rod with 30 size reel.?

60 medium action rod with 35 size reel.?

66 medium action rod with 35 size reel.?

7' medium action rod with 35 size reel.?

What weight line do you recommend?

Any other help you'd care to give would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I would go with the 7' rod and reel. The extra length sure helps cast a little better and also helps with fighting the fish. I would go with 15lb braided power pro line. The break strength is 28lbs, and has the diameter of 4lb mono.

I use a 8' Med-Heavy Ugly-stick lite --- but thats cause I switch the reel and use it for Kings too.

any of the Medium rods is good for silvers. The reel is the trick...

go with a mid range reel.. about $60 to $80. you want something that will cast fairly well and far for vibrax spinners. my personal reel is a Daiwa Exceler 3000 ($75 from Sportsmans wearhouse last summer) and I love the thing... Much better than the Abu Garcia it replaced for the about the same price. There were nicer smoother reels but the price to get them jumped into the $200-ish range.

For Silvers keep the line weight under 20lb. my reel is spooled with 15lb Maxima ultragreen mono-line. I use 20lb leaders for eggs, spin-n-glows and flies, and hook spinners right to the main line.

x2 on the 8 footer....with almost the exact same setup as sierra.....<20lb line and a quality reel i can cast atleast 1/3 again the distance i could with any 7 or 6 1/2 footer......the only problem i have ever had was with a salmon that ran hard from about 30/40 feet out and ricocheted off of my leg and when the line went tight the last foot and a half broke right off the rod....i kept fishing all day with the broken rod and landed many more fish including a few nice silvers....with the broken rod i still could out cast my gf who was fishing next to me with a 6 1/2 uglystick......needless to say i went right out that very same day and bought the exact same rod and have been fishing ever since...i'll never go back to the shorter rod...i have used it for kings, kenai reds, and on all the streams in the valley...last week i used it on the little sue and was bottom bouncing #5 spinners through a hole and had no problem telling the difference between bouncing off of rocks and when a fish picked it up and let me tell you they were giving me the soft lip too!...i love the thing..and for the warranty and the quallity all the expensive rods can suck it.....my uglystick is where its at
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Ugly Stik Light all the way! I bought an 8ft rod as well. I put a big Pflueger President spinning reel on it and its good to go for Reds, Silvers and Kings. You just cant beat and Ugly Stik for AK

So what is the average weight of a silver? so far all I have fished are the kings. Will they be hard to control with a 7 foot medium action Ugly Stick? Reason I ask, I want to take my two daughters out and wife and can rummage up 3 7 foot med's. Or will it be worth it to buy heavier action rods, such as the med/heavy. I sit here day after day wondering what will happen when a 20 lb silver gets hooked on one of them7 foot mediums. (think the wife would have a smile on her face or a look of terror??!!!)

The 7 foot rod and I use only p-line....17 pound test for silvers and I use a penn reel....Look for good deals for a replacement reel or rods after the season is over...Got my penn for 25.00 at walmart last winter. Bought the med/heavy combo and changed out the reel and used the other reel on another setup for kings using 40lb braided.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
    So what is the average weight of a silver?
    On the Little Su 9 - 10 lbs was my average, 12 was the biggest.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com