Thread: Cub stick too short-solutions

Default Cub stick too short-solutions

I was doing a bunch of cross wind landings today and discovered that the control stick is too short. I am having to shift my grip around too much, which is bad in gusty conditions. Does someone make a stick that is longer than the stock one? When I have full aileron deflection, the top of the stick is in my thigh and I have the top of my hand on it. When I lift it off, I am trying to get a regular grip while the plane is bouncing around all over the place. Being a noob pilot, I am trying to minimize the distractions/aggravations.

Jim, check your PM.

Scott

I told my wife about your post and her answer was to get a Cessna 180...ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    I was doing a bunch of cross wind landings today and discovered that the control stick is too short. I am having to shift my grip around too much, which is bad in gusty conditions. Does someone make a stick that is longer than the stock one? When I have full aileron deflection, the top of the stick is in my thigh and I have the top of my hand on it. When I lift it off, I am trying to get a regular grip while the plane is bouncing around all over the place. Being a noob pilot, I am trying to minimize the distractions/aggravations.
    It may be that someone has shortened the stick. On the other hand, I simply installed a helicopter cyclic grip. That both extended the stick and gave me an opportunity to wire the radio transmitter to a switch on the new grip. Concealed all the wiring and really cleaned up the cockpit. Especially handy when flying floats and wearing those danged hip boots. No hanging wires to grap the boot straps . . .

I was looking at the add on grips. They might be the solution. It would also get rid of the PTT velcroed to the stick. I will have to make sure it won't interfere with anything else in the cockpit at full forward deflection. I will have to call Atlee and or Stoddard's also to see about longer sticks.

I told my wife about your post and her answer was to get a Cessna 180...ouch!
    Haha. My wife said I was nuts when I told her that I was going to buy a 180 when I get the Cub paid for. Then I will have a go to town plane and a go to the woods plane. Pickup vs ATV. She still isn't buying it.