Thread: Mt. Goat books

Default Mt. Goat books

Are there any Mt. Goat hunting books or videos?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Your there!

Check out the Alaska Outdoors Store on this site. I have bought 4-5 and loved reading them all. I might also suggest Hunting Hard in Alaska I & II. He covers sheep and goats but the equipment needs are going to be pretty much the same.

Can't find a better source than right here!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-04-2007 at 11:38. Reason: correction

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Not a hunting book per se, but A Beast the Color of Winter is an excellent book about mountain goat behavior and biology.

+1 on what Chisana said....excellent reading

Default Video Clips

Gary,

Brwnbr, has some great stuff on Youtube and is a very knowledgeable goat guide on Kodiak. I would PM him.

I am working on about a 45 minute video of my 47 B&C goat harvest from last fall, but having some equipment issues. If you are interested give me a PM.

Bigmnt

Default goat hunting book

It is out of print now but Duncan Gilchrist's book "Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range" is not only a great read re: sheep hunting in the Brooks (his narrative took place on the Canning River) but he also has a chapter or two about the nuts and bolts of goat hunting...but it might be a mite challenging to find a copy.

Default Hunt High

Duncan Gilchrist also released a book called " Hunt High ".Contains alot of info,mainly on Goats.
    Also a video, I think it was called " Hunting rocky mountain goats."
    The interesting thing about the book ,A beast the color of winter. No mention of Goats living on Baranof island.

Also check out, Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist. It was published in '91, but still a decent read. Some interesting stories.

oops.... Sitka beat me to it!

Default Gichrist and goats

I was surfing the net a while back and saw some hunting books by Gilchrist. If I can find them again I will post it. I still have a little Pocket Guide Series on Goat hunting he authored. Only 63 pages long and fits in a pocket! He died a few years ago. Back in the 60's I was introduced to him by my deceased friend Ken Perkins. Anyway, Ken's dad, Maynard "Perk" Perkins helped him get started in the guiding buisness. We were in Anchorage at that old guide Keith Johnson's house watching videos of some of their Brown Bear and Sheep hunts. Gilchrist and this guy were in their stocking feet on a salmon stream late at night and putting the sneak on a Brown Bear. They were so close they could have fixed bayonets. I was about 16 then and it was a thrill to watch.