Thread: Possible Ideas for a home-made spray skirt

Default Possible Ideas for a home-made spray skirt

Although I've routinely posted some "trendsetting" ideas for canoeing techniques, equipment design and gear, I havent been on the forum lately. Now that summer is almost over, I too (when funds are avail) plan to construct a spay skirt. One person who would be capbable in helping you purchase proper materials, and give sound advice is Brian Richardson of alaska raft connection. I've done things to canoes that no others have thought of (yet). Brian had brain-stromed with me regarding a few of my designs, and provided me what I needed (and Tracey also provided advice and materials) to get the custom job done. I've created lifts, lining devices, portaging yokes, and many, many other canoe-related designs are still on the drawing board. Maybe it's because I'm half Mi'kmaq (the ones who created the canoe), and have a fondness for canoe related things that run through my blood......who knows. One thing I do know.....this "Cliff Jacobson" ---------------- He's only done one river in Alaska.......and a slow meandering one at that. Although some of his thoughts in his book, are sound, what works for him.....would be rediculous in our state. In his book "Expedition Canoeing", he has a ----------for a spray skirt, not to metnion his choice in tents among other things. I have a better Idea for a spray skirt. The use of vinal raft material and d-rings that can almost match the color of your canoe. vinal can be bonded together with a heat gun, and with genuises like Tracy (AK raft n Kayak), and Brian Richardson, they are HERE in this state and have the knowledge of the proper glues and techniques when working with all raft materials. Rolls of vinal raft material are avail through NRS and every color you could imagine, but probably even cheaper alternatives could be found through Brian Richadson. Vinal raft material is a cheap and practical material to use in the construction of a spray skirt, not to mention.....it can literally match the color of your canoe. Although I do have my own design, spray skirts must fit what it is that you do with a canoe. My design is adjustable for being loaded with bulky gear and moose meat. My design is such.....that it won't be torn away if capsized.......like the "Cliff Jacobson" Although much of his advice is legit....... I'd like to meet this dude face to face and tell him ----------"boundary waters", because he has led many canoeing enthusiasts astray.......towards his lower 48 minded techniques. If any of you who are inquiring about spray skirts needs some help planning and preparing a design, shoot me a pm. I would gladly sit down over a good growler of beer and help in the design of anything canoe-related.

"If I sound blunt, I've earned it."
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 08-07-2010 at 18:29. Reason: Forum rules against bashing anyone... you just can't name names and talk smack about um.

Hey buddy, press that return key a couple of time throughout your post; some people can't read that long without a break.

And please go get that phone, we gotta talk and I don't want to call them to talk to you, K? Its available to you for good reason, and those reasons are proper ones. 'Nuff said?

The idea of using our local talent in modifications and add on's is a great idea.
    Those that live here and play here,, and most importantly survive wild places in Alaska are our best resources.
    making spray skirts etc. that won't be torn off in an overturned canoe event would be ,, at least to me,, a great item.
    our lives depend on not losing our gear when we get into trouble...
    I have a close friend that lost all of his gear,, and I mean all of it due to not having his stuff tied on and covered in a way that it would not get away.. No sleeping bags, no food, no way to make fire, and 200 miles from the nearest road.... if not for a paddler that came along the next day.. I am not sure how it would have shaken out..,, (this happened in late Sept too, so hyperthermia was a big player)
    folks from the lower 48 oft times can get in a jam,, walk out to a road a mile from the incident and be home before dark after a flip..
    The Boundary waters has such a huge user base that its limited to permits, this means that you are not going to be alone in that part of the world, and would be lucky to find a lake that someone else is not also camping on... Even our Kenai canoe system only gets a few thousand visitors and most of the time my customers will only see maybe one other party in a week long canoe trek into the system..
    this is not the case in the boundary waters, or most any other waters in the lower...,,, when I hear about someone getting lost in the lower, it amazes me.. look at all the biggest wilderness areas of the lower 48 and you can see that you can walk out from almost any of them in 24 hrs or less.. even if you are in the heart of the areas..
    newpictures1791.jpgI guided via horse and mule in many of the wilderness areas in the west , such as the Uintah's, Bob Marshall, Gray's river, and others in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and I was seldom a days walk from getting to a road and help...
    We don't have that going on in most of our places here in Alaska and we like it that way..
    keep us informed on what you have designed and are thinking about in the way of spray skirts, and trappings for your boat..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default dry bags and lanyards

Everything in my canoe has a lanyard attaching it; simple parachute cord with carabiners works great for this. And things that shouldn't get wet are in dry bags.

But still, I'd like a spray skirt to lessen the amount of bailing I do, which at times can even be constant, even using a large bailer; my favorite type is a gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off, since that has a nice handle on it and the sides flex to conform to my canoe bottom.

I am looking for ideas for making a spray skirt for my Blue Hole canoe. Could you e-mail me some possible ideas? It sounds like you know what you're talking about. My e-mail is mcharniak@yahoo.com. Thanks.