Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300Win Mag - Savage 116 FHSS - 4200 Elite

Default 300Win Mag - Savage 116 FHSS - 4200 Elite

Here is my Savage 300Win Mag I am working with and developing loads for this hunting season. I have use the 300Win in a Model 70 Super Grade in 93-95 and a 300Win Mag in a Ruger MK II Stainles from 97-2001 and loved them. Actually liked it better than my 300Wby cartridge and it is pretty even with how I feel about the 300Win Mag and the 30-06.

I have decided to build on my load work and hunting experience using the 300Win Mag with this Savage 116 FHSS (Accutrigger/Accustock) with a Bushnell 4200 with a Weaver 20MOA base and Weaver tactical rings, for this years hunting so I can finish an article I started two years ago.

This rifle will be fully capable of letting me hunt in any weather. I won't have to worry about rain on my rifle or my scope fogging up about the time I want to take a shot, which has happened to me down here in South Mississippi and I did not get my scope clear of the condensation in time to take the shot on a gas line right of way. Will be practicing out to 600yds with GB300wm for longer shots this year.

But hear are some pictures of the rifle and targets to show where I am at the moment with more targets and load info to follow in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Targets will be on next post.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It is not favoring the heavier bullets at the moment but in about another 200 rounds are so through this rifle it just might get friendly toward the 210 Berger and 208 A-Max.

210gr Berger four shot group

180gr Ballistic Tip

165gr Sierra HPBT three shot group with H4350 at 3057fps

165gr Sierra HPBT using H1000 at 3118fps five shot group I pulled the 2nd and 3rd rounds and called them when I did trying to get use to the Accutrigger.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

165gr Sierra HPBT using H1000 at 3123fps five shot group and I pulled the 1st round and called it, still the trigger but I am getting better with it.

Will be doing more load work and need to hurry to have my self ready for hunting season. The trip I take to GB300wm's
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for the posts Beartooth. Keep em coming. I have become a Savage fan as of late after purchasing my first one a few months ago.

My pleasure, this rifle is showing a lot of promise. I just finished break-in and started my initial loads, it should work out just fine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's a nice rifle.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thanks Marv, I am liking it the more I shoot it. I have owned a lot and I mean a lot of rifles in my life time and many were custom rifles and the action on this new 116 FHSS Accutrigger/Accustock version is one of the smoothest if not the smoothest actions I have ever operated and that was a real surprise to me.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

GF just bought herself a Savage rifle in .270, we haven't shot it yet! Boresighted it, we'll take it out this weekend and shoot it. Factory ammo is what she'll use, nothing fancy, Nikon scope on top which is nice and clear. Hopefully a bull moose presents itself for her to shoot as well.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Good luck to your GF. I hope she finds a big one. I have one Savage, a 22-250 with a SS Bull barrel and synthetic stock. It is heavy, but man, it shoots like I have never seen a rifle shoot. I have had it for a long time and it has taken alot of cull deer in apple orchards, and quite a few yotes and woodchucks. Still my first choice for predators. Scotty
    Semper Fi

I have become a big Savage fan too. Amazing out of the box accuracy. I also have the Model 116 in .300WM. The only rifle I own that didn't require some tinkering to make it accurate

Yes, true out of the box accuracy for sure when one buys a Savage.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's a nice rifle, especially for a Savage! :] They seem to be looking nicer and nicer as they go on, my eyes must be changing!
    When I loaded for the 300 mag I used 75gr H4831 under the 168gr matchking seated .015 off the lands for 3200 fps and about 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. I used it to shoot one, only one mind you! 2 7/8 group at 300 yds.
    The rifle was a Rem 700 sps dm with the 26 inch barrel. I was surprised and pleased with the performance.

That is very good shooting and yes you should have been pleased with it performance at 300yds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

At our recent range open house I was helping teach some kids to shoot the accutrigger in Savage .22's. It can be difficult for them because the feel the trigger takeup of the safety portion of the trigger and expect something to happen. I finally just had them concentrate on taking up the slack until they felt themselves touch the main trigger, control their breathing and aim while slowly squeezing. I think it actually cured many of them of problems yanking the trigger. Myself, I can shoot the accutrigger Savage .22's better than any of my standard trigger .22's.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yes, I am really liking my Accutrigger better all the time.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My two oldest boys have also taken right to the accutrigger on my 17hmr. I agree that it does seem to help them keep from yanking it as I also had them gently pull till they had the trigger flush and then they knew that it was just about to fire as opposed to the sort of random mush trigger creep leading to a surprise boom. With the savage it was much easier for them to feel when the trigger was going to break over and no flinch with the inducing recoil from the 17.

Mike, is the 300WM going to be your primary rifle for hunting this year? Looks like you have a bunch of great shooting loads to work with. Are you going to try any of the 200gr PT's? I have a bunch sitting on my bench right now, waiting for me to return. Hoping to see what I can get out of them. Going to try some RL22, H1000 and maybe Retumbo. Trying to match my 2950FPS load of RL22 with the 200gr Sierra GK's. Scotty
    Semper Fi

Scotty, the 300Win Mag will be this years main rifle in my hunts. I have yet to try the 200gr Partition but it is on the list. I started an article two years ago on the 300Win Mag from my hunting and reloading experiences that took place in 93-95 and 97-2001, but decided to purchase another one and add the experiences of newer powders and greater selection of bullets as well as trying them in the field. It could take two hunting seasons instead of just this one to satisfy myself so as to do a good and useful in finishing the article.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast