Thread: East fork of he Tolovana

Default East fork of he Tolovana

Has anyone gone upriver with a canoe from the highway? I've got an Old Town freighter with a 3.5hp that I'm thinking of trying up there. Thoughts? Thanks in advance...

...and feel free to PM me if you don't want to provide specific information in an open format.

Super skinny water, I have seen a trickle flowing over the riffles this time of year, not to mention all the trees across and in the channel.

We are going to be putting streamgage's on it at the end of this year. Check online next year at http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current/?type=flow

Default Was Just There ..........

If you mean the Tolovana River at the Colorado Creek Trail just south of Livengood ...........then I was just there coming back from Deadhorse. The "river" is pretty small and could be easilly waded near the highway, you would have to drag a canoe over all the riffles and would thrash a prop inbetween them.

Thanks for the responses guys....I just returned from that area last nite, and I certainly agree with you that the water is very skinny in spots with downed trees throughout the drainage. I didn't even try to run the canoe up river or down. In fact, I didn't even remove my canoe from the top of the truck after hauling it up there. I did walk stretches of the east and west forks and had fun catching and releasing grayling with my 4wt fly rod.

Doc