Thread: New Hangar, finishing the concrete floor

Default New Hangar, finishing the concrete floor

Closing on a new 2,000 sq ft hangar at the end of August, the concrete floor has not been epoxied, stained etc. and I would like to solicit any thoughts, opinions or experiences with a good finish for this kind of floor.

if you watch hgtv (like my wife does alot) I've seen them do something I thought was awesome... its a pebble finish concrete floor... looks awesome to me.. just mix tiny smooth pebbles with the epoxy and smoothen it out..JMO

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I do like those pebble finishes, but for a hangar I'd have to stick with an epoxy in either white or light grey. The light reflection of the brighter colors help a lot when you're working in there. And it's real easy to find an oil leak.

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    I do like those pebble finishes, but for a hangar I'd have to stick with an epoxy in either white or light grey. The light reflection of the brighter colors help a lot when you're working in there. And it's real easy to find an oil leak.
    I think keeping it light is a good idea, the door has two high windows and the foam insulation on the door has been painted white along with the finished sheetrock walls. I think totally white might get on my nerves though. In looking at the site I think the fine bieg mix might be a good choice. The price is not bad either 4 full kits would be about $1200.00 with shipping.

ocnfish,

Did you build your own trusses? I'm thinking about bldg a hanger myself. Wood trusses can span enough for a hanger.

Rick

Hey Rocket ...

Not building a hangar myself, My mechanic need to work on my wing tank bladders a few months ago and used a friend of the machanic hanger to do about two hours worth of work. I was impressed with that hanger and I am buying one that is wood frame and already exists, at Birchwood airport, it is a 10 plex south of CAP. It has a Schwise 16 ft door and is 45' by 45' with a 3/4 bath, the developer calls it a three airplane hanger. I could give you his name and phone on a PM and you could ask him how he did it. I have not yet decided to do the floor myself or hire a professional. Looks like materials/epoxy/acid & solvents would run about $2000.00 ........ but would I get it right? The rest, a kitchen, bathroom floor, shower enclosure etc. I can do it myself. It is an all wood building and was finished two years ago and it looks like new, it looks like the contractor knew what he was doing.

OK ... this is how it turned out ... First the process ...

1.) sweep, scrape, grinde and vacume the floor, mechanically removing everything you can.
    2.) with meruatic acid and a oil solvent acid etch and clean the surface twice and flush and squeege three times. Turn up the heat in the in floor heat to 80 degrees, and come back to a sanua the next day.
    3.) day of epoxy ... I used a double coat process using Devo products purchased from Spenards Building Supply, first Bar-rust 235 and six hours later with Devthane 389. VERY IMPORTANT!!! we used 3-M masks for both acid etch and and rolling the epoxy, occasionally I was sweating and wiggled the mask around and the vapors were noxious ... I had the help of a guy that does reall big jobs on hangar floors like the freedom hangar at Eillison AFB in Fairbanks.new hanger floor.jpg

Looks great man! You'll be enjoying that hard work for a long time.

Looks great, nice job. OK now when is the new hanger cook out! Tom

That is a real possibility .... but I want untill my AP/IA John gets back in the state Octobrt 1st., the second we will annual 78A ...