Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticed any blueberries yet in Eagle River/Anchorage?

Default Noticed any blueberries yet in Eagle River/Anchorage?

Anyone notice signs of blueberries yet this year?

I was up at Flattop last week, nothing yet. But there were some mossberries coming out.

I am curious to know if there is anything happening at Hatcher's Pass, berry-wise.

Just what I was looking for! Keep us posted!

Where are some good areas around here. I hear somewhere on Rich is good.

the one's I have here are full of color just a bit bitter yet
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I heard last night people were picking up on Blueberry Hill near Flattop. Any truth to it? Are they ripe yet?

Lots of mossberries up at Arctic Valley. Blueberries are a little harder to find, but there are some up high there. I spent two hours and got about a cup of blueberries and several cups of mossberries.

Seen lots of rose hips, but not too many berries just yet. My daughter came back from Victory Bible Camp out toward Glenallen and said that the berries out that way are ripe.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I was picking yesterday and a woman I spoke to said the Willow side of Hatcher Pass has cranberries. Seems early for them, but this has been a strange summer in some areas. I thought they were best after first frost, but I don't know much about them, I guess. (Same woman said she saw lots of blueberries on that side of Hatcher, also.) Blueberries in Whittier area are a fraction of what they were last year in terms of numbers, but plenty of size to them, maybe from all the rain, and you can easily pick a gallon in an hour or so. Salmon berries are pretty well picked over in the easy to reach areas, but there are tons of them if you're willing to bushwhack a little bit. There were a lot of green salmon berries, so they should continue to ripen over the next couple weeks. Take insect repellant, you'll probably need it if you pick early in the day. The Bird Point to Girdwood trail has some nice patches of raspberries.

We picked a cool whip container of blueberries at Flattop in the rain yesterday. Slow picking right now - lots of green berries still. If you're patient, there are enough blue ones to pick, but a couple of weeks will help.

As far cranberries go, there were several but we didn't pick - too sour too early. Need to wait for the frost to ripen.

-hiker

My husband and I were up at Hatcher Pass today. Between the two of us we picked a gallon bag stuffed full of blueberries in a couple of hours. That was in just one patch of about a 6 foot radius. There were lots more patches so we could have easily spent all day picking. There were a lot of other people out picking as well but plenty of berries to go around. There were still some unripe berries so my guess is the peak is still a week or two away.

ADN ran an article this morning by Mike Campbell in the Outdoor/Sports section on the blueberries.

Was up on the South Fork Trail in Eagle River today.....found two, yes thats right - 2 blueberries. Yikes.

Just a few day is all it took there fat and ready
    Μολών λαβέ

I think we are going to head out to the patch this afternoon to see what we can see around here. Hopefully all the torrential rains we've had in the Eastern Interior the past couple of weeks hasn't knocked them all off. It was looking like such a good year before then.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

They are ready where I am at.

The tundra was a bit mucky but there are plenty nice big ripe berries to be had. Gotta get more over the next few days before they start falling off. Think next time we will leave the dogs at home. They had fun romping around and gobbling down their share of berries, but they were not much of a help.

Grandma Lori

Me and my woman have gotten maybe 15 pounds in the last few evenings. Trying to get her out there again tonight, looks like they are already starting to loose their foliage off the plants. Go get them while you can cause it's not to far off. And I learned I only bring one dog and he stays in the jeep as the guard dog to keep unwanteds out. Other than that they are to much to deal with when your trying to pick I agree
    Μολών λαβέ

Yum blueberries... Lil' Kay loves em.

The blueberries are more than ready at Arctic Valley the higher the better. Some are still green, but some are falling off the plant already.

the highbush berries in turnagain pass are not there this year. anybody have anywhere else that has good highbush picking this year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast