Thread: Bow Hunting Goat

Default Bow Hunting Goat

How many of you have bow hunt Mt. Goat before?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bow Goats

I have guided quite a few Bow Goat hunters in the past.

This one is from this last season .....

nice pic. I'm going to give it a shot here this year
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Goats are stalkable. You must give them room to run. I have seen quite a few Goats (over the years) get stuck by arrows. They will run.

The main thing is to give yourself enough days to catch one out where it does have some running room and enough time to make many stalks.

I schedule my Goat hunts for 10 days of hunting.

Thanks for the info.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Man, bow hunting goats would be quite the feat. It'll make for some awesome stalks.

I've tried once on a registration hunt right above Tern Lake. I got within range - it was beautiful, as I climbed up above them and they walked right towards me to within 35 yards. It was late October and unseasonably cold, so I had a pretty hefty jacket on. It was my first time bowhunting in the winter, and I hadn't given thought to my sleeve getting in the way. Well, when I released the arrow my string caught my jacket and caused the arrow to fling way behind the goats. As the arrow bounced off the rocks, I sat back and enjoyed the show as the two billies bounded across icy cliffs and out of sight.

I'll give it a shot another time soon. I've got an idea in mind, now I just need to find the time. I think that goats should be really doable, you just need to quietly get above them and wait. I've been within bow range many times while out climbing - now I just need to do it with a bow in my hand again!

-Brian

Default Goats

I had my gear packed for five weeks last year and weather prevented me from getting out of port every weekend. I am going to try it again this fall as well as sheep. I am wondering if whites will work for goats.

I will give you one hint though....treadmill.....everynight with a pack.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave,

I aint much of a whites fan for sheep. Have used it awefully sparingly and had ewes bust out with me in them, hadn't even tried moving yet. Gave away my spot and ruined a darn good setup on the ram I was after. Tried a few other times for fun with very similar results.

Buddy of mine has killed 4 longbow goats now and has yet to touch whites including his last one at 7 paces. Pretty much everytime he goes out with any amount of time he does pretty darn good, either getting on goats or killing one. I'd leave the whites at home unless you expect snow personally.

Also saw you drew DG475? I had that tag last year and didnt go but I did do some digging on it. Just curious why with goats out your back door you put in for it, instead of flying out of cordova or getting a boat ride out from valdez? Have been thinking of a registration hunt your way is the reason I ask.

Default TradBow

I hear ya. But I have never been to Kodiak. There is also the possibility of deer too. Last year my gear was packed for a three day goat hunt and it sat for five weeks because the weather was so bad. Remember the flooding over here....

Well maybe this fall will be different. Maybe spend some time hiking and cutting a trail this summer so the climb will be easier and set up a leanto frame back in the woods. Maybe leave a tarp there stashed too.

GARY, they are great to bowhunt. my favorite species to hunt. the veiw from the top makes the back breaking climb worth it. i have missed one above tern lake and put arrow thru hair on back of another in PWS. Never have taken on with a bow. did not draw a permit, this year. plenty of reg. areas thou have hunted archery area by Juneau once bad weather , snow caused problems. would like to go back some time. will most like do registration hunt this year......have to as i'm gettin old and not sure how many years i have left that i want too bust my butt hunting them. late hunts are best for hair length but weather is a real factor later.
    Gear ( safety items) that is a must in my mind: 4 point ( instep) crampons, long handled mtn. axe and 150 foot of rope. ( have used 3 150 ft. peices to safetly get to downed goat and get it back on top.) i use 5 or 6mm climbing rope but other plastic ropes are ok i don't do technical stuff with it mainly a safety hand hold. also koflach boots or some type very similar.
    -pat
    ME WITH MY LITTLE BILLIE

SAME HUNT 3 GOATS IN ONE DAY ,RIFLED, BIGGEST WAS A HOG NO HORNS :-( CABIN OF BOAT 8 FOOT ACROSS
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 02-05-2007 at 11:04. Reason: adding picture
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

took my goat out PWS with my handgun at 3-4 yards i probalby coulda hit it with my bow, maybe even with one of the arrows too. was looking away out over a point and i came up behind him, never got up from his bed.
    give goats time and let them move, they do alot of that, pick your spot for a stalk as terrian will be everthing, they aren't half as alert as sheep are, whites will work, but aren't really worth the extra weight if you ask me. practice shooting in wind, goats tend to be near edges or ridges right where its never calm.
    have fun!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default 2 for 3

Ran the gamut on goats. Got a good billie in Juneau on the first try with horrendous weather and a solo trip in November--thought I would never do it again. But, my brother wanted to give it a try. Went out of Cordova on the registration hunts. Bro was outta shape big time and wanted to leave. So, I shot a small billy that was 100 yards from the cliff, but managed to roll the only direction that would possibly put him over and did. By the time I got to the bottom (next day after hiking out and coming back up from the bottom--without my chunky bro) and found a black bear had already claimed what was left. I got one broken horn, a black bear hide, and a few scraps of what turned out to be spoiled meat (apparently bears like to pee on their finds and the meat cutter won't take it that way--don't worry moral police, I turned it over to F&G and they cleared me of any wrongdoing). Then went to Kodiak last fall and got blown off the mountain--coulda shot nannies or small billies, but didn't feel the need. Goats are definitely stalkable, but need to find them in the right place at the right time, which is the tough part. But, if it was easy--everybody would be doing it.

Default For the guys that have harvested goats

For the guys that have harvested goats before: Would you prefer a cut-on-impact broadhead or a replaceable blade like a Slick Trick or Muzzy? Heavy arrow - I have some that are 600 grains+ for moose. Or the average caribou setup of around 450 grains?

Since I have only had complete pass-throughs on caribou, I am sure my poundage is enough.

i dont' think penetration would be the big factor on goats, their not real wide when broadside they have more of an oval shape body, where as sheep and bear are rounder in the chest. i'd go heavy on my arrows solely for the fact of wind., i'd go with either a four blade or two blade, something low profile, muzzy are awesome.
    but i'd go heavy on the arrow, goat ain't gonna jump string, so speeds not the issue hit em hard and hit heavy any time you can. just like a gun, light fast bullets don't do as well in wind or when they hit hard stuff.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default goats

Shot the first with Muzzy-3 blade-100's with a complete pass-through--even through the corner of the shoulder blade at 25 yds. The second with the same arrow setup, but square in the backbone (shooting straight down). That said, I have moved all my arrow setups since then and now shoot everything with 540 grain arrows (Currently, Easton FMJ's with 125 gr Slick Tricks). I have been shooting those heavy arrows for about 4 years and passed through everything (Shiras Moose, Muskox, black bear, Caribou, Coues deer, javelina), except a Moose I shot this year that went through and hit the off-shoulder joint and buried itself. Incidentally, the Slick Trick is still intact from that moose and I will be replacing the blades and reusing...kr

Default Slick Tricks

I am also a promoter of Slick Tricks. They have never failed, blades are easily sharpened and they fly straight. I have taken two bears and two caribou with them and they are excellent. Although with the aging eyes and fingers the little washer seem to vanish mysteriously sometimes.

looks like I will be climbing flat top allot this year to get inshape.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Getting in Shape

I bought a treadmill. Since I have a bad back and can't run, I do the following. 30 minutes at 2.5 - 3.5 mph walking with the tm set at 6- to 10 degrees with a 30 pound pack. Then every other night I lift weights besides walking. I shoot the bow three times a week in the wood shop at school. I can only get 15 yards, but am keeping the muscle tone and form in shape. I also started taking Sportsman Edge vitamins and an asprin a day. It seems to be working. The lack of daylight did not bother me this year, more energy and not one sniffle all year. (Probably catch the flu on Monday now.)