Thread: Tanana River Moose hunt

Default Tanana River Moose hunt

I will be hunting permit dm685 (antlerless) in the end of August. I have been doing a lot of reseach ansd have a general plan of attack. I'm looking for help in the way of first hand knowelde of boating the Tanana, analysis of my hunt plan, and any other useful advice. Provided unit map link- http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ose&hunt=dm685

Hunt boundaries: North bank of the Tanana river from the intersetion of the wood river to Salcha, then directly east to the wood river, then along the east bank of the Wood river to the Tanana.

Hunt Plan: Transportation will be a 18 ft flat bottom river boat with a prop. I am planning on launching in the Chena river in Fairbanks and travel down the Tanana and hunting the hot/seven-mile sloughs and surrounding areas. Would you recommend still hunting good areas or covering a lot of area river in the boat. Are these sloughs doable in our boat? The other area I'm looking at is the sloughs east of Salcha. 5 day hunt. 2 permit holders. Is there a decent population of moose inhabiting the islands and areas near the tanana river?

I have found an air-charter willing to fly me around my hunt area to help locate animals and hunting areas, but am apprehensive due to funding (college students), is this service worth the money?

Thanks for anything, Corey.

I've hunted the 7 mile slough area quite a bit. There are moose in there, but the further you can get from the river, the better. We sometimes see moose on the river banks, but typically not. The Willow Creek fire is burning right near the enterance to 7 mile slough, but it seems to be going to the East and not affecting the area.

If the river goes down some, 7 Mile Slough can get some real skinny spots, be careful with the prop! Would be worth floating a bit early in the morning or last thing at night right at the begining of the season. Those areas start to get a lot of traffic = noise = moose heading inland.

I should also mention that most of the cows we see typically have yearlings. We don't usually see twins, but it seems about 3 out of 4 cows we see typically have a single calf. I don't think that area gets hit too hard with predation, so the calves seem to survive at a pretty good rate.

Ditto Jerod's info. I don't want to discourage you, but if you're running a prop, you may have a difficult time getting into 7-Mile, especially at the entrances....and likely will be further out with the rest of the crowd. If you get in, you may have a tough time getting out. Last year, the water dropped well over a foot while we were in there. Have a good winch just in case. It's all silt and tough to push off if you get hung up.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Change of plans, I'll be hunting of a 18 cataraft with propped motor. If all else fails I can just float through the shallow sections. Thanks for the help guys. Any other general advice?