Thread: 14' Wooldridge

Default 14' Wooldridge

Has Wooldridge ever made a 14 footer? There is a guy who is claiming that he has one for sale and I am just a little leery about it. Thank you for your responses.

Yes they did. Glen built one for me back in about '91 or so. I put a Johnson 75 hp racing motor with a pump on it and had a great time running lots of skinny, twisty, tiny creeks and rivers. I was also pretty young at the time and ran it in the big water a lot also. Looking back at where I took it and the conditions I had it in I am a little surprised I am still here. Oodles and oodles of ducks, geese, steelhead, crab and salmon filled that boat for many years. The only reason I sold it was because my one chesapeake turned into three and a Mrs. was added to the cargo. It was just too small to be comfortable anymore. I now have a 20' Wooldridge Alaskan II with a 200 Mercury that the chesapeakes (2), german shorthair, wife and kids fit into quite nicely. I still miss that boat terribly. I would love to have another for the trips when I don't bring everyone along.

I believe they made a 15.5' AK as a "production" boat for some time, the little brother to the typical 17.5' AK, I don't recall the year(s) they were mfg'd. Guaranteed it'd be a ton of fun to drive

Was the 15.5' welded or riveted?

I would have to look back into my Wooldridge archives to be sure but it was probably about 10 years ago that Glen made the 15.5' boat into a 16' one. The 15.5' and 17.5' had wider bottoms, wider beams and higher sides than the 14'. And all of those had a narrower bottom than the updated Alaskan that they introduced just a few years ago. My wife and I looked at the 17.5' boat about 8 years ago right before we bought our Alaskan II. Back then he only had the narrower bottom, it just felt too skinny and cramped. The new Alaskan is much better. I have never seen a riveted Wooldridge, that includes boats back into the 1970's. I don't believe they have ever built one.

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    Has Wooldridge ever made a 14 footer? There is a guy who is claiming that he has one for sale and I am just a little leery about it. Thank you for your responses.
    Are you looking at the one on Fairbanks Craigslist? the seller reposted it yesterday calling it a "Wooldridge Alweld" LOL that sure covers a lot of ground................pretty ok deal, but definetly not a wooly...........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    "Wooldridge Alweld" LOL
    He is not calling it a Wooldridge he is calling it a Woodlridge Alweld. Still a lol is in order.

Yes Akgramps, it is the one Craigs. I went and looked at it and there is a hole on the bottom, close to the side that was fixed with bondo. I am just breaking into the world of power boats. I have enjoyed my canoe, but I would like a break for awhile. As far as being a Wooldridge, there was no data plate of any sort anywhere. I was by myself so I was able to look pretty well. Any suggestions for a smaller welded shallow draft boat? I'll be on the Tanana and then the super small creeks. Thanks