Thread: How do you get to the slough by the tracks on the Knik???

Question How do you get to the slough by the tracks on the Knik???

Spent a fair amount of time yesterday bush-whacking and getting chewed up by mosquitoes trying to find a trail out to this slough. I know it'd be easy to get to by following the tracks, but the rail road has it well posted not to trespass and I was trying to be respectful. Is there a trail-head somewhere that I'm missing? I started in the little pullout just after getting on the Old Glenn and before crossing the tracks by the little butte/rock thing. Most trails just seemed to go up that, not paralleling the tracks towards the slough.

Really wanting to try this spot, just seems like I'm missing something on how to get there.

oh man your gonna have to be more specific, there is a couple slough's out there.

I dunno exactly how to describe it....the one below Eklutna Tailrace a couple of miles, just upstream of the tracks on the south side of the Knik.

CS

Check out Google Earth and you may be able to find a way in.

Drifter, already checked that...lol. I thought I made a trail out, but could not find it when actually out there. It's pretty dense foliage, otherwise I would have just plowed my way through. That and the three kids and a wife I had in tow....lol.

The obvious easy way is to just follow the tracks, but the RR doesn't like that.

well I know were your talking about...........honeslty I can't help on that one, I have seen people parked by the road there and I am guessing they used the tracks. Maybe you don't have to walk on the tracks I am guessing walking to the side should be ok? I am guessing there should be some open area there to follow?

Default slough

Funny thing, I was wondering about that spot of water myself. There are a couple of geocaches on Chicken Bone, which I understand is the name of that "rock" between the tracks and the Glenn. After I find the geocahes, I was thinking about hiking that direction. Besides the RR right-of-way, the other concern I had is that the slough looks like it may be on or very close to Eklutna land according to the Eklutna Inc. web site. It's always fun to explore new water. Keep us posted if you make it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Funny thing, I was wondering about that spot of water myself. There are a couple of geocaches on Chicken Bone, which I understand is the name of that "rock" between the tracks and the Glenn. After I find the geocahes, I was thinking about hiking that direction. Besides the RR right-of-way, the other concern I had is that the slough looks like it may be on or very close to Eklutna land according to the Eklutna Inc. web site. It's always fun to explore new water. Keep us posted if you make it there.
    I went to the Eklutna office and talked to them and got a land use permit, but even they didn't know if the slough was on Eklutna land for sure or not, which wasn't very helpful. They didn't seem too concerned, either, although if it is then only Eklutna shareholders can fish there.

The google map looks like it was taken in spring when the water was high and the undergrowth low.

With the water so high I would be dubious as to the fishability of the slough.

Its not much to talk about. Narrow and alot of overhanging brush. I dont think any fish run up it. When the water is low the fish are just stopping to clean out there gills. When its high and backflowing i havent seen any fish there. You got to walk down the tracks a ways then cut in. Bring bug dope!!!

I spend a bunch of time on the river and the slough your talking about is just about devoid of fish so far this season. I check it out about every time I go by in the boat. Most people walk the tracks and I don't know of any real "trail". Last year that slough was full of fish this time of year but my guess is with the high water that they are blowing past. Time to start looking more up Jim Creek way IMO. Duck Don