Thread: Links to ptarmigan training info

Default Links to ptarmigan training info

I'm looking for some links to read up on how to train my pup for ptarmigan hunting... Don't want to take up too much of anyone's time, but searches I have done haven't turned up much.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction!

cube01,

Don't mean to sound flippant, but once your dog learns to hunt training birds it will adapt to different gamebirds quite quickly. After basic training it's mostly a matter of taking pup ptarmigan hunting so he can learn the topography. There is some material out there for you on ptarmigan hunting alright, but I doubt you'll ever find anything specific to training a hunting dog on ptarmigan. You simply train the dog and then take it hunting where ptarmigan are to be found.

Best of luck to the both of you!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    cube01,

Don't mean to sound flippant, but once your dog learns to hunt training birds it will adapt to different gamebirds quite quickly. After basic training it's mostly a matter of taking pup ptarmigan hunting so he can learn the topography. There is some material out there for you on ptarmigan hunting alright, but I doubt you'll ever find anything specific to training a hunting dog on ptarmigan. You simply train the dog and then take it hunting where ptarmigan are to be found.

Best of luck to the both of you!

Jim
    Thanks for your response Jim - much appreciated.
    After browsing around some other posts on here, I'm going to try and find a copy of your 'Upland Hunting' book...

Thanks again.

Thanks, cube01! If you have trouble finding it just remember you can order it right here on this web site. Found that out one day while cruising around the site. Keep us posted on your adventures.

Jim

Jim said it right...train the dog and he will work ptarmigan, grouse, quail, whatever you put him on.
    I am not sure if you are looking for dog training or more information/resources regarding ptarmigan as a huntable species.
    Jim's Upland Hunting in Alaska is a great book (I have two copies on my shelf and I recommend it highly) but it is not specifically a "dog training book" per se. No disrespect Jim.
    If you are looking for the basic concepts and process of training there are many out there, if that is what you need/want.