Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship Creek Updates?

Default Ship Creek Updates?

anyone gone to play at Ship recently?

I know the tide timing sucked this last week (which is why AOJ hasn't seem much for reports)

but the early AM tides are starting to coincide with first light as of this morning. I've got too much to do at work at the moment to test it out but

just out of curiosity for next week...

not like its a secret or anything.

well 200 views and no replies... thats probably not a good sign..

oh well... tides are about right and I can't get away with a 3AM start to get to Jim Creek so here's hoping I can break my Ship Creek curse.

Wel that was a bust.. my record of "zero" fish landed at Ship is intact.

mostly Pinks and Chums comming in with the tide. Silvers are present but not in large numbers. The Fly fishermen had some success. Some of the Roe under bobber crowd caught chums. The flippers hit pinks. Spinners were worthless.

Incomming tide appeared to be more useful than the outgoing.

Default no fish today ...........

fished the head of the returning tide with a bobber and eggs for a few hours today by following the tide as it worked its way upstream. only saw one caught. walked all the road and pedestrian bridges and looked and talked with people, only saw 4 fish in the entire place, everyone said it has been very slow for a while...........walked up to the dam and only saw about a dozen silvers and a dozen pinks..................seems pretty dead.

wonder if it will pick up again or is it done for the year ?

seems like a rather lousy return this year, perhaps due to hatchery on EAFB being down for re-build and they did not stock as much the past few years ?

It has been really slow. Vibrax and roe do work, but the return at this creek has been below average. It has been that way for the past couple of years.

Default Fake fish you get what you don't pay for

Hatchery-based sport fisheries along with the hatchery-based commerical salmon fisheries . . . Alaska is becoming more and more like the other states with its increasing reliance on fake fish rather than wild ones. In many of the sport fisheries (Ship, Bird), given that the hatcheries are subsidized, you get what you don't pay for --poor returns.

Well for one the fish arent "fake" their wild caught fry and just go into a hatchery and they release them back to that stream. But i guess in some works the may be fake. And for the statement that alaska is turning into poor returns. Its a supply and demand. If say each angler keeps their 3 coho limit, and say 30k people(fake number) keep their limit thats 60k out of the breeding stock. So in turn fishing in the road system will decline more and more if proper CFR isnt implyed. With that all being said. Another reason i am becoming a bush pilot...
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Better go back to math class there LCF. 30K X 3 cohos = 90K cohos, not 60K.

Woops typo on the iphone there. Just got outta my school like a lil while ago
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Default Maybe an aquaculture class, too, Lake Creek

In addition to math and flying classes, think about an aquaculture class, because the silvers returning to Ship Creek that are used for milt and eggs for the following year's releases are hatchery silvers: Fake (males) + Fake (females) = Fake (juveniles, female and male) .

We wiped out the wild, native sockeye and wild, native chinook runs in Ship Creek a long time ago. (I don't recall whether there was a natural coho stock in Ship Creek, maybe someone else out in forum-land knows?) At any rate, the chinook and silver runs are totally dependent on artificial reproduction in the hatchery. It's a fun fishery, yes, but an amusement-park fishery nonetheless.

In addition to having fun, we need to pay better attention to what's happening to our wild stocks: With 1.5 billion fake salmon released into the ocean every year from Alaska hatcheries for the commercial fishery (crumbs to the sports fisheries) and with a limited ocean carrying capacity (less carrying capacity with a warming ocean), those fake fish are no doubt crowding out the real ones. And to add insult to injury, when the fake fish return, some of them are straying into wild streams and apparently faking out the wild ones there too.

Just to many people fishing alaskas road system. Ive seen to many dumb f$%ks come here, catch a fish, grab it by the gills, spend 3 min to unhook it and kick it back to the water. Pitifull. Ive had it with combat zones. Most(not all) out of staters are to ignorant. I now fly out to unfished areas and have 4x better fishing with none of those people around. rant over
    -Local 907 Riders Union

In a bad mood? Someone steal your lunch money on your first day of high school
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Just to many people fishing alaskas road system. Ive seen to many dumb f$%ks come here, catch a fish, grab it by the gills, spend 3 min to unhook it and kick it back to the water. Pitifull. Ive had it with combat zones. Most(not all) out of staters are to ignorant. I now fly out to unfished areas and have 4x better fishing with none of those people around. rant over
    Pull up the big boy panties. If that is the way you feel and all dont come back here whining you want to fish, you dont have a ride etc etc. There are just as many in state idiots too. Im mean you have seen it all in your 14 years on gods green earth. so keep your secrets, get grammy or grandpa to fly you where ever. Oh wait. Are you not fishing the road system of denali highway this weekend. People treat fish bad up there to.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

umm actiualy im legaly allowed to fly with a parent. Which is my dad. Why dont you get man up and maybe invest into something better than a drift boat. Im shure all you people have plenty of fun on the kenai. The denali highway at tangle lakes, she it gets crowded, at the **** kiddie holes. Canoe trip up to seven mile lake is going to be no one around. Normaly hunting around the lil nelchina isnt alot of people their. And hey chuck, keep the granparents out dude not cool. Grandma died of a brain anorism is 08 and grampa is disabled because of a drunk driver.

Take up on some respect dude, I actualy LEARNED to fly. Took ground school for 3 years. Got out and flew. Seems that how i work to get my money and buy most of my stuff at 15 that probley better than most. I dont really have anything wrong with the kenai really just the fact ive never really liked southern fishing. My dad works extremely hard for all the big toys he has and cabins he owns. So dont judge and its all good pm me with any other questions good day.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

And for ship creek updates, Fishing is suppost to "pickup" yet the returns are dismal. Runs havent really been that good for the last few years.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    umm actiualy im legaly allowed to fly with a parent. Which is my dad. Why dont you get man up and maybe invest into something better than a drift boat. Im shure all you people have plenty of fun on the kenai. The denali highway at tangle lakes, she it gets crowded, at the **** kiddie holes. Canoe trip up to seven mile lake is going to be no one around. Normaly hunting around the lil nelchina isnt alot of people their. And hey chuck, keep the granparents out dude not cool. Grandma died of a brain anorism is 08 and grampa is disabled because of a drunk driver.

Take up on some respect dude, I actualy LEARNED to fly. Took ground school for 3 years. Got out and flew. Seems that how i work to get my money and buy most of my stuff at 15 that probley better than most. I dont really have anything wrong with the kenai really just the fact ive never really liked southern fishing. My dad works extremely hard for all the big toys he has and cabins he owns. So dont judge and its all good pm me with any other questions good day.
    So now you go to the passed card and Im sorry for that for you and have lost both my parents. It is not gonna get any better up here. You are gonna have to learn to deal with it. I have been fishing up here since 78. I have seen and do see the changes.

Again I am man enough to say sorry. It was never a family thing but dude, things are not gonna get any less crowded

No hard feelings man, just not gonna be out fishing due to the outragouse amounts of hw im getting in geometry
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Default Relax

Lake Creek,

It's good to see that you care about Alaska's resources, but at your age you should be spending less time on the computer and more time with the ladies You got your whole life to rant on the web, save that until you are older(married) and you need something to do inbetween fishing trips

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    Lake Creek,

It's good to see that you care about Alaska's resources, but at your age you should be spending less time on the computer and more time with the ladies You got your whole life to rant on the web, save that until you are older(married) and you need something to do inbetween fishing trips
    Yea like me old worn out and on the net

well If you need some help there are a few teachers on this board, PM me if you need some help my family loves teaching math.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast