Thread: First time for POW bear questions

Default First time for POW bear questions

Hello all,

I just recently found this site and I am very impressed. Seems to be a lot of information shared. Awesome! I am from southwestern tip of the USA, San Diego, CA. My buddy and I decided our next hunting adventure will be a DIY archery bear hunt on POW. We are looking at sometime in May of 2011. We are interested in an attempt at baiting and or spot and stalk. Neither one of us is a "trophy" hunter. If we succeed, it will be a trophy in our eyes.

I have begun the research and so far have decided on reserving a forestry cabin assuming we will be able to get one. You can't reserve more than 180 days out so I still have some time. I have looked at all the cabins but haven't been able to find any reviews as far as hunting goes. Im hoping someone will have some experience and be able to help. Any of you have recommendations on any specific cabins? The idea of a secluded cabin over a lake is very appealing as my buddy wants to fish a little. This isn't a deal breaker though as I know some of the cabins are on the coast. Any thoughts?

We plan to fly into Ketchikan then grab a floatplane to one of the forestry cabins. It appears the average flight time from Ketchikan to a good number of the cabins is around an hour. Is there a less expensive way that is recommended? A boat ride? I'd rather not deal with renting a car.

As far as the hunting goes, neither one of us has hunted black bear before. We hunt deer, upland birds and waterfowl. As far as baiting goes, obviously we have never done it. We were looking at the Bait Em 907 website. Do you use these bear baits along with other attractants or just the bait ball itself? I thought about trying the "bear crack" recipe that Cameron Hanes discussed in his book Backcountry Bowhunting. I believe the forestry cabins limit your stay to 7 days. Is this enough time?

Anyway, I know this was long winded. Any help is greatly appreciated. None of you will probably come to Southern California to hunt (the summer time charter fishing is good!)but if I can help you with any questions.....

Thanks again,

Nick (breacher)
    Eccad252@netscape.net

Contact "Gooch" on here he is gonna be your best resource and will take care of ya.

KLICKMAN

Hi Nick, I'll try to help.

Your chances are best if you get access to a boat and can cruise some beaches. Staying at a cabin can limit your huntable area unless you stay at a coastal one and have a boat and motor to cruise around. May want to think about renting from a private outfit that can provide a skiff. You can catch a ferry to POW from Ketchikan. May be a cheaper way to go than flying in and out of a cabin. Just a thought.

There is good fishing at Red Bay Lake cabin and Salmon Bay Lake cabin. But you are limiting your huntable area for bears. Salmon Bay does have a trail to the beach so you could go there. Shipley Bay has a cabin on the beach and a lake you can hike to but no boat there.

As for baiting it can work very well. Look in the Bear baiting forum and you'll find lots of info on methods.

Hope this helps. Better hurry might be going to a draw hunt for non-residents here pretty quick. Are you guys trad shooters?

Ibohnt,
    Thanks for the help. The ferry might be a good idea for us. We just don't have much boating experience, especially if conditions are bad. I don't want to get in over my head. I will expand our search and look more into what you mentioned. As far as "trad shooters" I guess not because im not sure what that is?

Thanks again,

Nick (breacher)

Sometimes it takes a while for Bear to hit a Bait. I know of hunters that set baits and never had action on their week long hunt. I have had Baits take 10 days or more to get hit. You must also find your bait site and then go into an ADF&G office to permit it. Only a small percent of Island Bear are taken over Baits. You can discuss this with ADF&G either at the Craig or Ketchikan offices.

Most POW Island Bear hunting is via spot and stalk.

Most USFS Cabins are used by Fishermen ... some are used by hunters. There are few that are accessible via the road system. Most are air or boat access. Chartering an aircraft is expensive but is just part of the cost of hunting up here ... Resident or Non-resident. Chartering a vessel can be more than a Floatplane.

Ibohnt is correct that change in the rules for the Non-resident Black bear hunter in all of SE Alaska is on the near horizon. We are not sure what change yet and it will be passed this fall at the Board of Game meeting in Ketchikan to go into affect in June '11. So spring '11 will be status quo.

Taking the ferry to the Island will require renting a vehicle either in Ketchikan or on the Island. Or a B&B type rental that provides a vehicle can be looked into. But that will not be the same as renting a remote USFS Cabin as B&B's are in towns and you will need to travel to hunt.

That is good information, thank you. What are the reasons for ADF&G to change the regulations for non-residents and going to a draw system? Too many people and or game numbers in decline?

Nick (breacher)

My understanding is that it's due to an excessive amount of sows being killed in the fall hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    My understanding is that it's due to an excessive amount of sows being killed in the fall hunt.
    That certainly is a piece of the pie.

It has not been decided yet what restrictions will be put into place. The draw system is just one of many on the table at this time.

I believe you have till just August 13 to get in your comments and proposals for this falls BOG meeting in Ketchikan. I may be wrong on the date but if you want your proposal or opinion to be part of the story better hurry.