Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round one, Bighorse 0, Mountain 1

Default Round one, Bighorse 0, Mountain 1

Hauled into the mountains last week the day before August 1st. trying for Mt. Goat. The weather was cloudy with no visibility so I decided on a hill based off previous intel. I had a green but very athletic hunting partner along for the adventure. We made good time up to a base camp at 3,300 ft and set up the main camp adjacent to a high lake. We slept the night and woke to continued foul weather. We decided to make a slow hope and poke crawl across and up the mountain. Soon after departure we came across a decent Sitka buck and dropped it, deboned it, and packed it in a snow bank. We figured it was a sure thing and with a goat and one deer we'd be happy. On we went to reach a 4,100 summit in misty white out conditions. On the top we talked about heading back vs. hunkering down with minimal gear hoping for a morning clearing. We decided to stay and build a rock shelter and top it with my nylon tarp and crawl into the single bivy I had carried along. A long night of shivering and pushups left us still wanting for visibility. So the hope and poke style hunting continued. We were in goat country and we were finding fur, beds, and droppings. Soon we were back in camp for a rest. After a bit of recovery the clouds started to lift. We surveyed the mountain very well and determined the goats just were not in the area. Soon it was a deer hunt. We slept one more night and woke at 4 am to get to it. Soon we had a nice 3x3 in the Swaro and the stalk was on. On the way, in a logistically more feasible area, a nice forky popped out and I gave my partner the go ahead for a shot. He pierced it's ear and whacked the antler. I thought it was gonzo and I couldn't stop laughing. Soon the buck showed again at a long range and I took over, boom, dead! The nice 3x3 buck will live a bit longer. We field dressed it and hauled it to the same snow bank the first buck landed. The sun beat on us for the remainder of the trip and we relaxed and glassed for an afternoon. The next day we schlepped to the beach with heavy packs. I'll depart tomorrow for another attempt at goat, solo this time. I found em in a spot I can access. I'll throw in a few photos for you all to enjoy. My camera broke on this trip so I may not be able to share any success from this weekends trip. I'm kinda bummed about that. Well I hope you enjoy.

Round two starts tomorrow. I'll do my best to even the score.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default :)

More photos...........

Great story and good luck to you!!

Dang Bighorse, that is some rugged but equally as beautiful country I really need to get down that way at some point. Good luck this weekend.

Default photos

Good scenery.

Default more

I wasn't in the mood for a long story......hopefully these will do.

Default Cooooold!!!!!

Not sure what you were looking for in that water, but I bet it took a while to find yer seeds after you got out. Good luck on the goat and choose your steps carefully up there alone.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Second times a charm!! Nice way to start off the season, Great pic's. Good luck in round 2!!

Nice pics for sure! Was that a "Big Foot" with its summer coat jumping in the lake???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Big......
    beautiful country. you won. Might not have killed a goat, but just being up in that country shows that you won.

Good luck on your next trip!

You tackled that mountain on foot, showed a newbie the ropes, and toughed out a bivy night on the mountain...that's a big win even without a billy! Good luck this weekend, and thanks for the pics.

Good job Bighorse ... great pics and be careful on that solo.

Thanx for the real huntin' pic's. Awesome country where one would want to make sure of where you are stepping BEFORE you put your foot down. Me thinks you will be earning your goat. Be careful, have a good hunt and good luck. Thanx for taking us along on your hunt.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Thanks everyone. I'll be careful. I leave here in a few minutes. The weather again looks less than favorable. I can use that to my advantage, I hope. I'm going into an area I've hunted about ten times so there won't be any getting lost in a cloud.

I've packed fairly light so the going should be quick. The plan is to attack the mountain without any stealth until I hit the ridge. Once on top there is a known feeding zone that I'll camp out over in the rocks. The plan is that the goats will filter into it during a 24hr period and allow for a shot.

I'll let you know how it goes. No photos though. The camera stopped working.

Sounds like you have it all worked out and we all wish you the best of luck. Stay safe. Do you have a spot for safety? Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures.

How can you come off a mountain with 2 deer and say, "Bighorse 0"? More like Bighorse 1/2-Goats 1!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

How far to the truck.Did you 4 wheel up there.Any good sno-go trail up to there,don't really have the time to climb. Can you get there by boat or do you need a canoe. Great post and pics as always an adventure
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    How can you come off a mountain with 2 deer and say, "Bighorse 0"? More like Bighorse 1/2-Goats 1!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I had a green but very athletic hunting partner along for the adventure.

We decided to stay and build a rock shelter and top it with my nylon tarp and crawl into the single bivy I had carried along. A long night of shivering and pushups left us still wanting .
    uhmmmm HORSE? i was wondering the score too

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Now the score is even. I went up with a Bivy in white out, blowing cloud scenario. It was so bad I found my self walking in a big circle, twice. I wasn't so stupid to commit myself to any real elevation loss and sorted things out.

So the recon from earlier in the week paid off. I couldn't see more than 300 yrds so I just posted up on the ridge over the most likely holding area for goats. I found a pair staring at me only to have any kind of judgement and shot quickly erased by a cloud. It felt good knowing the goat herd was still in the area. I clamored around trying to find more without luck. So I just put my camp/bivy above a high bowl where there was plenty-o-sign. There was a snow bank they just loved littered with beds and droppings. Five hours passed and honestly, the solo hunting thing was wearing on me and a jokester along to pass the time would have been nice. I was just about ready to fall in and I noticed something down below me that wasn't there before. I had all the small snow pockets kinda outlined in my head and this one didn't quite fit. I readied my rifle, which ment I had to clear the optics and hold vigil on em because the misting cloud would obscure the lens quick. After a few minutes the cloud kinda moved enough for me to make out a large mature animal, nothing else really. I wasn't in the mood to be picky so sent the heat aiming for a high shoulder spine shot. The goat collapsed and only rolled once in a high grassy spot. Finally I had a nice goat that wasn't all banged up. I was happy and crawled down very carefully to the goat. It was a 7.5 yr old nanny. The horn on her is really nice at 9.5 inches with great points and a nice spread. I worked on it carefully for a shoulder mount and thew the quarters in a dry bag. I then put on my headlamp and had one of those epic late evening cliff scaling trips. I put the bag in a snow bank and crawled into my bivy. It rained all night and the OR sack worked great. I woke at 6 am, downed a 5 hr energy and granola bar, deboned the quarters and started the very difficult trek back to my boat. It took me 8 hours to get back to sea level. It always amazes me how heavy a fully loaded pack is when it comes time to off load it at home.

Sorry gents, no photos, my camera is broken.

My wife starts school next week and my hunting time is gonna be limited. Thats why I didn't get super picky and gambled on the billy/nanny thing. So I'm good on meat for a bit with deer and goat in the deep freeze.

It was a tough 48 hr. hunt and I'm gonna rest up for a few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast