Thread: Learning the hard way

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Learning the hard way

Seems no matter how much I read up on jets and impellors and sleeves, I had to learn about them the hard way. I recently sent my stainless impeller off to get rebuilt and put in a new sleeve and my spare aluminum impeller on my Merc 100. The boat seemed to fly alot faster and we were skooten up the creek to where I felt we better come off of plane and not damage the aluminum impeller. I shut the engine down and it wouldnt start or turn over. I removed the spark plugs and sprayed WD40 down the 4 cyls and still no movement....we rowed down and long story short is that the impeller and sleeve didnt have enough clearence!! yeah i'm a rockie with the jet thing!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Thats pretty wild..........?
    Seems to me if it didnt have enough clearance, you never would have got it started in the first place............?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I read on this forum about silt jamming em, I think thats what happened, it started when we were back in the harbor! I put my backup 8hp motor in and took off flyin again and came off step near a reef and idled over it and killed the engine before I suced up kelp(it sucked kelp) and then it wouldnt start again! so that is when I remembered the post about the clearences. I motored back home with the 8hp, cause I took too many spacers out and the impeller was now jamming on the housing! I got it figured out now.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Been there done that too, sort of relieved once you find out that was the problem though.
    BK