Thread: Why does a thread dissappear after I open it or post to it.........?

Question Why does a thread dissappear after I open it or post to it.........?

Is there a setting that I control......? If I open a thread and read, then close it, and later decide I want to open it again, I can't find it. Or if I post to a thread, and then hit "NEW POSTS", the thread is gone, till someone else posts to it.....???????????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is there a setting that I control......? If I open a thread and read, then close it, and later decide I want to open it again, I can't find it. Or if I post to a thread, and then hit "NEW POSTS", the thread is gone, till someone else posts to it.....???????????
    Sir, when you find a thread that you would like to follow, click on the thread tools drop down menu that is above the post. Click on subcribe to this thread. To see subcribed threads, click on the settings button located on the upper right hand corner of the page by the log out buttom. This will show all your subcribed threads that have new post, you can also click on the view all subcribtions link to see all threads that you have subcribed to.

They disappear after you view them because they are no longer new and you are using the what's new menu...

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you need any assistance.

Steve

What happened to an option: "Todays Posts"......? I don't want to subscribe to threads. I just want to see all the threads, even this one after I hit REPLY. If I want to edit this post after I reply I can't as it is gone to me, till someone else posts to it.......?

What happened to an option: "Todays Posts"......? I don't want to subscribe to threads. I just want to see all the threads, even this one after I hit REPLY. If I want to edit this post after I reply I can't as it is gone to me, till someone else posts to it.......?
    Sir, all a subscription means is that you follow the thread. This is what subscriptions are designed. Please try it one time to see if it is what you are looking for. You can also click on your user name at the top of the page and view your profile, there is an option to view all your post from that page and you can go back to any post you have made.

Hope this helps.

Steve

OK, I get that..........Now, say I am reading threads, I have read seven current threads, and I read a newish thread where a quire is made about a subject I know a fair amount about, and I want to help; However I want to finish reading the post to threads from last night, before I respond.

Now I am done reading threads, and I want to respond to two of the threads that I opened and read, I can't unless I wait till someone else posts, which might be two days later. At this point I don't care, and help was lost to the original poster. But it is what it is, I just feel the forum is diminished somewhat buy this new procedure.

OK, I get that..........Now, say I am reading threads, I have read seven current threads, and I read a newish thread where a quire is made about a subject I know a fair amount about, and I want to help; However I want to finish reading the post to threads from last night, before I respond.

Now I am done reading threads, and I want to respond to two of the threads that I opened and read, I can't unless I wait till someone else posts, which might be two days later. At this point I don't care, and help was lost to the original poster. But it is what it is, I just feel the forum is diminished somewhat buy this new procedure.
    I know I keep harping on the subscription thing, but it is what you are looking to do. Just use the thread tools menu to subscribe to any thread that you have an interest in. Then use the "settings" button to view and manage your threads. The settings button is like the old USER CP button. Also when you open settings it gives you access to your mail, reputation remarks and threads.

Steve

Sir, you can also use your browsers BACK button the reverse through the pages you have opened since you opened the browser.
    Say you open your browser, go to the forum click on What's New and read a post, then you go back to What's new and read another. To go back to the first thread use the BACK button on your web browser to go back to the first post you read.
    Hope this make sense and helps you out.

Steve

ALG, I think the problem you are having that you can't find threads that you posted in to edit and what not is when you hit the "whats new" button if there have not been any new posts in that thread since you last read it, it will not show up under "whats new" what is in this option are threads with posts that have been made in threads since the last time you opened those threads. If you wish to go back to edit or re-read a given thread if you do not subscribe (I don't use subscribe but others i know use them frequently) you will have to go to that sub-forum and find it the round about way.

I probably totally miss diagnosed the problem you are having, but trying to understand exactly what is going on with your problem, so be patient with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    If you wish to go back to edit or re-read a given thread if you do not subscribe (I don't use subscribe but others i know use them frequently) you will have to go to that sub-forum and find it the round about way.

I probably totally miss diagnosed the problem you are having, but trying to understand exactly what is going on with your problem, so be patient with me.
    I think you nailed it. I just find it a big pain in the butt, and so I don't post here much anymore, which brings joy to the hearts of some members. O'well it is what it is, I'll just visit this forum less often, and visit other forums. Thanks to both of you for trying to help.

Default or use the tabs function of your browser

If there are 3 things you want to read before posting, have them each open in their own tab (you right click on the thing to open it, and then select Open in new Tab or some such, instead of just doing a regular left click to open something up.)

Then you can click about among your 3 pages you have loaded by clicking on each pages tab there in your browser.

Then if you want to reply to one or more of them eventually they're still there. If not, close out that tab and it's gone and you still have the others.

Tabs work great for looking at more than one thing at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    If there are 3 things you want to read before posting, have them each open in their own tab (you right click on the thing to open it, and then select Open in new Tab or some such, instead of just doing a regular left click to open something up.)

Then you can click about among your 3 pages you have loaded by clicking on each pages tab there in your browser.

Then if you want to reply to one or more of them eventually they're still there. If not, close out that tab and it's gone and you still have the others.

Tabs work great for looking at more than one thing at a time.
    +1 on this. If I am gone for a few days and want to catch up on here I may have upwards of 20 different tabs open until I get back to where I last logged on. Then I close each tab as I read, or leave that one open if I wish to respond once I am done reading all the other tabs.

Red face

+1 on this.
    You might want to go check with a moderator on that... the +1 didn't come through....

Oh, whoops! You ARE a mod!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    You might want to go check with a moderator on that... the +1 didn't come through....

Oh, whoops! You ARE a mod!

Guess I am not picking up what you are laying down there Familyman. Forgive me I am hands down the LEAST computer savvy mod by far.

the old link labeled "today's posts" is what's missing....that did what many wanted.....you could log on and off throughout the day and always get "Today's posts".....subscriptions, tabs, etc. just don't get the job done the same way....

.....is the "today's posts" link still available?.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Guess I am not picking up what you are laying down there Familyman. Forgive me I am hands down the LEAST computer savvy mod by far.
    You're savvy enough to spell perfectly and exchange a few PMs since you posted this, so don't worry about your computer/Internet/forum skills; you're doin' fine.

All worked out, and happy.