Thread: "waterproof parka shell"

Default "waterproof parka shell"

i am looking for a new "waterproof" parka shell after retiring my old nylon windbreaker. this hooded shell would stuff into a pack and yet was usefull in cold, windy and rainy weather. most of the parka's available seem heavy, offering a membrane protection system that for me isn't worth the weight and stiffness.

any suggestions would be helpful...
    happy trails.
    jh

From your post it is hard for me to tell exactly what type of jacket/shell you are looking for...

For raingear--the standard in Alaska "usually" is Helly Hansen Impertech.

If you are more inclined to go the softshell route there are quite a few choices such as Marmot Precip, many folks like Arcteryx even though they are real spendy, and Millet and Rab (although lesser known make some good shells too)--most outdoor companies offer some good shells like North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Integral Designs, etc.

As for just a real thin waterproof shell I have heard good things about the Marmot Super Mica (which won some awards recently). The army has a newer Gore-Tex shell that can be scrunched up real small as well--might find at a military surplus store or at a Clothing and Sales on a base/post if you are able to utilize those services.

Another possible option--from your post it appears you are from Wisconsin--there are some Eddie Bauer in WI--they are having a pretty good sale going on right now--some items including some high-quality raingear is up to 75% off right now--won't be camo colors but still might serve your purposes... Hope this helps a little bit...

thanks major; some good ideas here. i am not looking for a camo-of-the-week parka shell, and would be satisfied with a thigh length ripstop nylon parka with a generous hood. finding a compressable parka has been a problem, but will continue the search.
    happy trails.
    jh

You are looking for a "Cagoule".

Taylor

hi marc; i read your reply...and maybe right, it is worth looking into. thanks.
    p.s.
    read your reply to my archery post (arrows and broadheads) and the magnus broadhead, but think the penetration issue is the angle. most shots generally pass through and so don't warrent a picture.
    happy trails.
    jh

So far I am very happy with eVent shells. I still need to put them through some torrential downpours but in the persistent drizzle that is so common in AK they have done very well. My wife is using one made by Stoic (a backcountry.com brand) down in Alabama this rainy season and simply loves it. It is breathable enough to be used in the humid south without her being stifled wearing it. A pro of the eVent fabric is that it actually lets air pass rather freely through it keeping you cool when working hard. A con of the eVent fabric is that it let air pass rather freely through it so isn't the best windbreaker.... I am still not ready to scream it's praises from the mountaintop until I get more field time but so far I am pleased.

another neg is it is not very quiet either but about comparable with regular goretex. I have tried some of the goretex noise resistant fabrics and they have all gotten wet and heavy in rain which defeats the purpose.

lujon; thanks for the reply...as i am not familiar with event shells. there are more choices out there and different experiences with them depending on location and conditions. it is good to hear from users rather than just more advertising.

thanks to all for your help.
    happy trails.
    jh

I know a lot on this forum like aceratyx (sp?) personally I find them too spendy and too fashionable, perhaps thats why they are so spendy. If you want functionality that will last, buy a Rab. They are favored by British Royal Marines for Arctic warfare. The quality is outstanding and the price is good. FWIW I have used many rab products and my 4 season bag and down jacket are still going strong after 11 years, Backcountry has a good sale on now and you could do a lot worse than this:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../RAB0060M.html

hi nbh40: and thanks for the tip....that parka looks like what i want!
    happy trails.
    jh