Thread: Soldier looking for some salmon slaying action.

Default Soldier looking for some salmon slaying action.

I have most of my own fly fishing gear. but am new to the sport and havent had much luck. If any one is interested in showing me a thing or two or looking for a new fishing buddy let me know, I am currently on leave untill the 17th so my scedule is wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by merker97 View Post
    I have most of my own fly fishing gear. but am new to the sport and havent had much luck. If any one is interested in showing me a thing or two or looking for a new fishing buddy let me know, I am currently on leave untill the 17th so my scedule is wide open.
    Get a copy of the book "the highway angler". It will give you a good info on a lot of places to fish within driving distance of Eagle River. Almost any place you find salmon, there will be people fishing for them. Watch the people that are catching, and copy what they are doing. Most of them would most likely show you the way if you asked.
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I will be on the river this weekend. Are you looking for any particular river or fish? What weight fly rod do you have?

Check your messages. I'm headed up north next week. You're more than welcome to come.

i have a 8wt Cabellas TraditionalII. So far Iam happy with it seems like a good starter rod. Don't realy have a preferance on what river or Fish but would realy like to get a hook in some of the silvers i have heard about up here. I hear they are pretty agressive once you finaly get them to bite.

you are going to have to go some were pretty early, once the sun comes up the fish shut down, I imagine any of the parks hwy streams have silvers at the mouth....williow, sheep, montana, little su, jim creek, pick one. But what ever you don't just limit your flys to pink colors.
    This is just my opinion but dark colors work on sunny days and bright colors work on cloudy days.

Or if you are looking for trout, you're welcome to go with me...
    I'm an army guy myself... 11B Airborne...

but what if his a pog???????? would you still let him go? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    but what if his a pog???????? would you still let him go? LOL
    Ha, good point.
    I can stomach most MOS's...
    As long as they know I hold the superior MOS and don't try and tell war stories, I'm good ;-)

i hear you, it used to mean some thing when you went the sand box now days every one has been there usually more then once.
    when people find out I was in the military and ask what I did, I just tell them I was a cook. LOL Saves me from all the questions.
    By the way marines are better! Army..........Aint Ready to be Marines Yet.............LOL

Yeah I'd just as soon not talk about my time over there...

My brother EAS'd a few years ago (we were actually in Iraq at the same time at one point), so I'm well aware that my branch was the correct choice ;-)

LOL yeah my dad says the same thing......only he was smarter then us both he was in the airforce. You can keep your year long deployments though! 7 months was long enough for me each time.

Having been a CAV officer who was in charge of the S1 shop, I can honestly say, I'd take the combat arms side any day over that circus.

Pink, Chartuse, Fushia, White all work great
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Having been a CAV officer who was in charge of the S1 shop, I can honestly say, I'd take the combat arms side any day over that circus.
    Having been combat arms, I can honestly say that I'd take a desk job any day over that back breaking, early morning waking circus... Not that I have any regrets, but I'm glad it's over