Thread: swift A-frame 45/70

Default swift A-frame 45/70

Wondering if anyone has loaded the 45/70 with the swift A-frames, I see they come in 350 grs. up to 500 grs. in .458. Also hows the performance on game, penetration etc.

A friend used one in his contender pistol on a brown bear, but was not pleased with the results. At the relatively sedate velocity of the 45-70 the a-frames act more like a solid than an expanding bullet.

My hunting partner has used them in his 450 Alaskan with good results. However, he is pushing the bullet much harder than you will in a 45/70. Jim

Talking thunder

Might want to look at pic I posted in Ak shooting forum in "stopping rifles" on the last page...shows two Barnes 300 and 350 x-bullets and at least see what they can perform like out of a 45-70. Of course, this would depend on one's velocities. Usually premium bullets require faster speeds to perform because of their stronger construction.

yeah, 500 grain swift A-Frame in a 45-70, 1600 FPS will proform just as good as any other 500 grain bullet, swift A-Frames are pretty spendy, and get can get the same proformance with way cheaper bullets.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A-Frame bullets for 45-70???

What will they think of next??? Boat-Tails???

Given the velocities of even the Hottest 45-70 loads, the large caliber, and the bullet weights, I wouldn't think that a Premium bullet would be necessary.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.