Thread: Caribou eye sight?

Default Caribou eye sight?

I'm going to be hunting Caribou for the first time in a few weeks. I'll be trying to get one with a bow. My only real hunting experience is with archery and that's been 16 years worth. I'm on a bit of a budget and don't have a good set of weather proof camo pants. I do however have a new pair of Marmot softshell pants that keep the water off. They are a neutral drab color. Can I get away with a solid color like this on the tundra? Is camo really gonna help me out here? Should I spring for a pair weatherproof camo pants for this trip?

Thanks

Light colors work best stay away from the dark stuff. Waterproof pants would be recommended but not an absolute must if you bring plenty of extra cloths. Your marmot pants sound like they'll work just fine. Good Luck and bring a head net for the sceeters!

Mosquitos should be tapering off by the end of August, you think?

I've been up the past 4 years at the end of August and I've never seen a bug however, that doesnt mean they won't be there. I'm sure some guys will chime in with war stories to contradict me.

Pants: To me camo isn't that big of a deal up there, it's not because caribou can't see well because, believe me they can. It's just that most of your realtree, mossy oak or w/e is wayyy to dark. You'll see that when your up there, people look like a black ball crawling around. I think my carhartts blend in better than most things.

my tip besides having some etiquette for other hunters is to hunt the wind, if you try to stalk without considering it you're just wasting your time.

Enjoy it's a great trip.

Last year the skeeters disappeared after the first snow (august 8). It should start to cool down by the end of august to the point where you shouldnt have too much of a problem with them. Doesnt hurt to go prepared though.

I shot my first 'bou up there in the snow wearing black Klim snowmachine bibs and a black fleece jacket. I honestly don't think camo pants would be worth buying if you don't already have them. Stay still and watch the wind.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem