Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dipnet charters and license required

Default dipnet charters and license required

I have a friend that was thinking of using his boat for taking people out dipnetting. This would occur at the mouth of the Kenai, not in the salt. Does anybody have any idea's on what he would need to do this? Not in the salt and not in the Kenai special use area either. Would he need a transporter license? a CG six pack license? Since he is below the Ames bridge, I wouldn't think he would need a guide class either. Please chime in with your thoughts!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

if he is for hire he needs a CG license. If he is doing drop off's, I don't believe he needs a guide license since he is not actually guiding them,but, not sure about that one.

So you are telling me every guide on the Kenai has a six pax license?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    So you are telling me every guide on the Kenai has a six pax license?
    I'm not positive, Whop, but I think that's right. We'll see what Iceblue, Yukon or others have to say (they should have a little more time on their hands now that we're past July and not into silvers full-swing, yet).

How'd your season go, by the way? I wanted to give you a shout to take me dipping and show me the ropes, but free time has been slim.

Mr. fish, I would be honored to take you dipping on the Kenai, by boat. Next year it will happen.
    My season went alright, nor perfect but my buddy left for the Yukon with the boat right about the 16th. He promised to never do it again, due to all the fish that escaped through the weir.
    Those boy scouts will wear you down if you let them. I became an eagle scout but wore my Dad down too. I understand the commitment.
    Next year I promise. We will also make it a point to get your scouts out too. Is there now a merit badge for dipping? If not, there should be!!!

IMHO I think this is a bad idea. You'll have the guides taking over the PU fishery in no time. Advertising for dipnetting charters in all the publications. New rules on how many dipnet clients can be in a boat. Can the guide fish, cut tails, clean, and what-have-you. Big 'ol pandora's box that shouldn't be opened. Ugh, the mere thought of a guided PU fishery gives me a headache!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

A guided personal use fishery.. I can't see that being legal.

Default the idea of paying for assistance to dipnet ??

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    A guided personal use fishery.. I can't see that being legal.
    Morally speaking, I can't see how that's any different than buying a net instead of making your own, or buying gas to drive to the river instead of walking there with your own two feet.

Legally speaking, I would have no idea. Does anyone here have any facts on this?

Sport fish guide license wouldn't cover it.. As they aren't using sport methods to harvest fish. I'm not aware of any other licenses out there that would allow a person to guide personal use fishermen using dipnets.

You don't want a guided dipnet fishery.

Question rights and reasons

Sport fish guide license wouldn't cover it.. As they aren't using sport methods to harvest fish. I'm not aware of any other licenses out there that would allow a person to guide personal use fishermen using dipnets.
    You've got it backwards there. We don't need to be allowed to do everything we do; instead we have rights as US and Alaskan citizens, and it is the state and the feds that are limited to do only what is allowed by law, not us. We are allowed to do anything and everything that is not AGAINST the law.

This is a huge difference between these two things; we should understand, value, and possibly even cherish this difference, and the fact that we have these rights; many people don't.

You don't want a guided dipnet fishery.
    That might be, or not be. You say what I want, but I haven't decided yet. But I do know that I'd like to hear real reasons why it either would or wouldn't be good for Alaskans or the resource. Got some?

My God, Familyman, you are spot on this early in the AM, what gives? Must be a good brand of coffee or something!

Default lotsa coffee

My God, Familyman, you are spot on this early in the AM, what gives? Must be a good brand of coffee or something!
    I can't believe I caught your post after one minute, just before heading back to some construction work here in the garage... but yes, lots of "coffee"; tonight the brand name of my "coffee" is Black Box Sauvignon Blanc. C'mon by if you're ootNaboot tonight, the garage doors are open and I'm right there a'toilin away.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    You've got it backwards there. We don't need to be allowed to do everything we do; instead we have rights as US and Alaskan citizens, and it is the state and the feds that are limited to do only what is allowed by law, not us. We are allowed to do anything and everything that is not AGAINST the law.

This is a huge difference between these two things; we should understand, value, and possibly even cherish this difference, and the fact that we have these rights; many people don't.

That might be, or not be. You say what I want, but I haven't decided yet. But I do know that I'd like to hear real reasons why it either would or wouldn't be good for Alaskans or the resource. Got some?
    When it comes to harvesting fish, and guiding people to harvesting fish, you better have your paperwork in order. Guiding people is nothing new in AK. It is ridiculous to think that you could start a new guided fishery for personal use fish without having the correct license.

Although not the exact same thing, I do know that you are prohibited from subsistence fishing from a saltwater charter. (You can't charter a boat and go out an set a halibut skate, even if you qualify for federal subsistence) I'm going fishing today, so I don't have time to wade through Personal Use regulations.

As for my reasons for you not wanting it.. You have a pretty good thing going on right now. Enter guides into the picture, and limits will go down for everyone, as pressure would increase. Not an unlimited number of fish in the river.

Not that you guys care, but I don't like it one single iota

Kenai area guides are already taking personal use fisherman out. Some do it in the Kasilof set net fishery and others in the PU fishery. If they are in a powerboat they need a coast guard lic. If from shore they do not. They may need to register with the State but I am not sure of that. A quick call to ADF&G will answer that question. There is nothing that keeps a guide industry from developing in the personal use fisheries that I am aware of. There is no guide board to limit fishing guides and there are no time or area restrictions by the Board of Fisheries. So I think it is fairly easy - one would have to have an Alaska business lic. for sure.

Don't they "guide" or at least do drop offs on the Copper River? The last thing I want to do is go dipnetting, too crazy for me, the very, very last thing I would want to do is guide dipnetters. JMO, but I am sure somebody will at some point. I don't personally know of anyone that takes dipnetters out. I know some guides use their guide boat for dipping, but it is their personal fishing, not for hire.

Default You are right about chitina

Mark Hem does drop offs and pick ups. I have also seen guys that are guides using their own boats too, for their own personal fish. No one that I know of does this. My buddy was thinking of a small niche market where shore dippers would have the opportunity to go by boat. Dipnetting numbers would not increase cause of it, you already have on average, 23,500 permits issued yearly. He wanted to cruise the beaches and pick up people wanting to change up in how the were dipping. An hourly type of thing.
    Looks like I need to put in a call to my favorite Fish biologist, Tom Vania and see what he says.
    Yukon, do all Kenai guides have six pack licenses? If they are for hire, they need to be right? That's according to the info listed above? Things have changed in the 25 years since I guided myself. Back then you only needed a business license and to register with Fish and Game. Times have changed, I know.

Yes, if you take people for hire in a motorized boat you need a CG 6-pack. All guides with motors have them. There is a long list of things that Kenai guides must have, such as registering your trailer commercially as well as your truck, which is pretty spendy come renewal time, you must have insurance, be a in a drug test program (CG 6-pack requirement) among many other things. I could give Parks a call over at their Funny River Road office and they will get you in touch with the right people that can give you the requirements of guides.

Kenai special Management use area comes into play above the Ames bridge. Down below I believe all you would need is a CG 6, register with Fish and game and a business license with insurance? It is just like being in the salt. He couldn't go above the signage at mile 4 cause of his engine size. Thanks for the 411, that helps!!!

Mr. fish, I would be honored to take you dipping on the Kenai, by boat. Next year it will happen.
    My season went alright, nor perfect but my buddy left for the Yukon with the boat right about the 16th. He promised to never do it again, due to all the fish that escaped through the weir.
    Those boy scouts will wear you down if you let them. I became an eagle scout but wore my Dad down too. I understand the commitment.
    Next year I promise. We will also make it a point to get your scouts out too. Is there now a merit badge for dipping? If not, there should be!!!
    Whop, I'll take you up on that (I hope), thanks for the offer. I really enjoy the scout stuff with my boys, but earlier this summer was just a perfect storm of scout camp (twice), little league, energy rebate program upgrades, visiting relatives and other stuff that just about drove me nuts. Thankfully, everything has somewhat returned to normal...for now. But, we're getting ready to head up to Fort Yukon for a bit of family retreat time. Hopefully we can shoot a few birds and catch a few pike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast