Thread: Last week in Valdez

Default Last week in Valdez

So I took the family and boat to valdez for a week. We had a great time and caught lots of fish. I took the family out approximately 30 miles and decided to fish a shelf 260 feet deep, I had fished this shelf before but never so deep. We frequents Valdez very often so my son is used to this type of fishing and knows the drill. He baits his own hooks, lets his line down, sets the hook, reels them in, Etc... Well this time was a bit different than the others. The fish he hooked was fighting hard and was far deeper than any he had caught in his short fishing career. All the while we (his parents) were saying "pull up, don't give him any slack, don't stop, keep reeling”. After almost 15 minutes of struggle there it was the biggest yellow eye any of us had ever laid eyes on, and he landed it solely and flawlessly. Not an easy feat for a young man weighing 40 lbs! It was 25.3lbs!!!

We also caught a bunch of silvers, halibut, and ling cod. It was a great trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Bob

Hey while I'm at it, can anyone tell me if there is a good bay to leave the boat while hunting on knight island? preferably on the north half of the island. Thanks
    Bob

Great pictures and nice fish - good job getting the kids out!

If I am not mistaken that fish is a record fish probably not the record but, big enough to get the young man a certificate. I recieved one for just a 19 pounder your sons fish is huge.
    Knight Island- I have stayed in Johnson Bay before and shot three deer inside that bay and also the next bay North, I forget the name but, it is better due to more glassing opportunities. Good luck and congrats on a good time fishing.

Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the info moosehead that will surely get me started on more research.
    Bob

my buddy caught a new state record red a couple weeks ago but he ate it 19lbs

There was a write up a few weeks ago in the news miner of a guy who caught a 33 # red. Alaska state record is 37 #, but 25 lbs is huge in my book!!! especially for a 9 year old.
    Bob

yep thats it, typo and all
    Bob