Thread: Drop Camp Recommendations

Default Drop Camp Recommendations

I and several friends are looking into unguided drop camps for the 2011 season. We are primarily interested in moose with caribou as a secondary choice. As a start I have done some online searching for mostly transporters due to price. $4K is about our limit for the service. We would like to hunt units in the southern half of Alaska that still have both caribou and moose for non residents. I am looking for both positive and negative feedback for any transporters or guide services that others have had experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsalot View Post
    . We would like to hunt units in the southern half of Alaska that still have both caribou and moose for non residents. I am looking for both positive and negative feedback for any transporters or guide services that others have had experience with.
    That's a big request these days. limiting yourself to southern Ak. Try Wade Renfro in Bethel. Also 40 mile air in Tok (I think). Another is Inland Aviation in Aniak.
    You can read Ak. hunt regs online. Cruise through the southern units and see if any have open entry moose and bou for non res.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

One option which I highly encourage is to pay a hunt planner. I know a lot of residents that pay a hunt planner for the info to help raise the odds of a successful hunt. Michael Strahan (Forum owner) does exactly what you need. Another choice is Larry Bartlett, who is a member of this Forum. Larry's website is pristineventures.com. Larry's hunts are known to be hard hunts and away from crowds. The success level is high in terms of hunt quality and trophy harvest for Larry's hunts.

One other option is to call transporters once you figure out where you want to go. Transporters are a wealth of knowledge, but you need to narrow your search down to a smaller area than S Alaska.

The choice is yours, but a couple options are above. If I were a non resident spending the cash for a lifetime I hunt, I would pay a hunt planner to tip the odds.

Get an Alaska airlines credit card--use the miles to fly to Alaska for free and use the saved money for a hunt planner.

huntsalot,
    First off, it is difficult to find a place, an area, where you have a reasonable chance at both moose and caribou. This is especially true for "several friends" hunting together. Although you did not mention where you reside, I'm assuming this is your first trip to Alaska. So I would recommend that you focus on one species like caribou. My top choice for current caribou hunts is not in southern Alaska. Go north!

Each of you can curently shoot two bull caribou in unit 26B. Several safe and reliable transporters work that country. After flying with many goodd outfits, my favorite is Mike McCrary flying out of Happy Valley, which is way north up near Dead Horse, the end of the haul road. He can be reached at (907) 209-0119. He generally, almost magically, gets cell phone reception up there. If not, he can be contacted at mccrary907@gmail.com. He makes it into Dead Horse every few days to check his messages.
    dennis