Thread: eat Muskrat or Beaver?

Default eat Muskrat or Beaver?

I use to trap when I was a kid, back in the Dakotas (1970's), I remember skinning Muskrat, thinking the meat looked like it would be good to eat, but was tought, you don't eat it. I have try'd Beaver and it was good, kind of like beef. Just wondered if anyone was eating any of these rodents?

Beaver is a regular meal at our house
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Tried Muskrat once, only once.

I used to eat Beaver more eagerly, but now that I've tied the knot, it's more of a mutual obligation.

tried muskrat once...now its used for marten bait..

Beaver is often rather tastey and one of two small game critters that have enough fat to make bacon from. Muskrat is starvation diet for a bear. I have eaten many many critters including 4 sea mamals, several reptiles and more rodents than I would care to list. By far the worst was muskrat!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Oh I'll eat beaver just not the 4 legged kind, too ****ed willowy for my likin'...however, now that I know the tail is pure fat, I just may hafta try it...my SIL just loves it...(she loves Whitfish guts too...so go figure...)
    The SOA, in the interest of preserving AK N8v Culture, should be allowing unfettered access for subsistence, this would have a two tier benefit, reduced welfare rolls, & reduced health care costs.

A freind may chime in here, knowing better than I......

But I must say that beaver is a solid food source. I have been taught the technique to skin them in a sense that will leave them edible. You musn't cut into the castors.......for if it contaminates the blade of your knife.....it will contaminate the meat. I'm not a fan of liver.....but beaver liver is both large, and the most mild and tasty of all livers I have eaten, blending well in recipies. If you should find yourself tiring of grayling and camp food......take a beaver and eat well. I would not cook beaver over camp fuel though........you would be wasting precious fuel ment for quick items like one-minute oat meal, 5-minute rice, fish, and thin pastas. What you must do with beaver.......is cook over fire and coals in a nice cast iron skillet with a cover for at least an hour........then enjoy a homemade stew that would rival beef. I have felt the effects of the land reap weight off my body (15 lbs in a week). Eating beaver for an additional week in conjuction with grayling and white fish allowed me to gain and least half of that back. Grayling and whitefish alone........not enough fat. If you are ever in the back country, they are usually in season for quite some time, check the regs before you leave on your trip.

matnaggewinu

I tried lynx for the first time this winter and was very impressed. It reminded me of chicken, but better. We cooked the lynx in a stir fry that was amazing. My wife had a hard time getting over the fact it was a cat we were eating but once you get over it you will want one every year.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Oh I'll eat beaver just not the 4 legged kind, too ****ed willowy for my likin'...however, now that I know the tail is pure fat, I just may hafta try it...my SIL just loves it...(she loves Whitfish guts too...so go figure...)
    you beat me to the punch!!!