Thread: Knik Streams EO and Jim Creek (2 or 3??)

Unhappy Knik Streams EO and Jim Creek (2 or 3??)

Ok theres and EO allowing 3 silvers for Kink are streams. Jim Creek and Little sue are exempt from the EO and the existing 3 per day of which 2 can be silvers still stands..

HOWEVER!!!

Where does Jim Creek end and the Knik River start????

I was out there this morning fishing about 1/2 mile down from the mouth of Jim Creek. (downstream of the hog line) with the high water I was definately fishing in the "silt" Am I fishing Knik? or am I fishing Jim Creek?

I only took 2 out this morning on the "spirit of the law" idea that the fish I was chatching were likely destined for Jim. but still thats a weak arguement

for example the limit at the Eklutna tailrace 3 silvers and it's generally accepted that many of the fish caught there are going to Jim, Goat creek, Bandenburg creek or elsewhere upstream where the limits are different.

last word of course would be F&G officers but is there a case for those fishing way down the ways from the mouth of Jim Creek are actaully fishing the Knik and therefore the limit is 3????

thoughts? opinions? more for curiosity than anything... I likely will still abide by the "2 silvers" rule until its clarified.

OK big Dummy me...

there is a number on the EO... and Sam from F&Gwas more than happy to talk about it..

My instinct was right... F&G will ticket you if you have 3 silvers even if they were caught down a ways... the intent is to protect the Jim Creek run and most of those fish will be going into the Jim so he politely suggested 2 was a good number to abide by. even if you were in the silt.

he did mention it's a bit difficult as the "mouth" of Jim fluctuate's with water levels etc. but in general F&G will give you the ticket and let you fight it out in court. Where you will probably loose.

nice to know anyway.

I saw this EO on AOJ and it is on this web site but I did not see it ADFG web site. Where can I see it to verify it? Not that I don't trust people just don't want to be the guy with three fish who tells the fish cop he thought it was ok because I read it on the net.

We've got a copy that was faxed to us at 3 Rivers, and I have one in my email I'll try to dig up and post. Sounds like it hasnt' been gotten to yet by the data geeks at F&G.

It was posted on ADN today as well.

It's at the bottom of this artical on Jim Creek.

http://www.adn.com/2010/08/04/139627...g-for-jim.html

Default The actual EO for your perusal...

Here it is...

SPORT FISHING
    Emergency Order ALASKA DEPARTMENT
    OF FISH & GAME
    Under Authority of AS 16.05.060
    Emergency Order No. 2-SS-2-42-10 Issued at: Palmer, Wednesday, August 4, 2010
    Effective Date: 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 7, 2010 Expiration Date: 11:59 p.m. Friday, December
    31, 2010, unless superseded by subsequent
    emergency order.
    EXPLANATION:
    This emergency order increases the bag limit for coho salmon from two per day to three per day in those
    waters of the Knik Arm drainage open to fishing for salmon (other than king salmon), excluding the
    Little Susitna River and Jim Creek, beginning 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 7, through December 31,
    2010. In addition, this emergency order adds Mondays to the regular weekend-only fisheries of
    Cottonwood, Fish, and Wasilla creeks, extending the two-day weekend fishery to a three-day fishery
    each Saturday through Monday beginning Saturday, August 7, 2010. This emergency order also opens
    Fish Creek to sport fishing one week early.
    REGULATION:
    The provisions of 5 AAC 60.120 General provisions for seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and
    methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area (2)(A) and 5 AAC 60.122 Special provisions and
    localized additions and exceptions to the seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and
    means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area (4)(A), (5)(A), and (11)(D) are superseded by this emergency
    order. Under this emergency order, the following provisions are effective beginning 12:01 a.m.,
    Saturday, August 7, through 11:59 p.m. Friday, December 31, 2010:
    60.120 General provisions for seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means
    for the Knik Arm Drainages Area.
    (2) salmon other than king salmon,
    (A) 16 inches or greater in length may be taken from August 7 December 31; bag and
    possession limit is three fish, of which all three may be coho salmon, excluding the Little
    Susitna River and Jim Creek; in the Little Susitna River and Jim Creek, the bag and possession
    limit is three fish, of which no more than two per day and two in possession may be coho
    salmon;
    5 AAC 60.122 Special provisions and localized additions and exceptions to the seasons, bag,
    possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area.
    (4) in the Cottonwood Creek drainage,
    (A) from August 7 December 31, from its mouth upstream to an ADF&G marker located one
    mile upstream from the Palmer Hayflat State Game Refuge access road, sport fishing is allowed
    on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.;
    (5) in the Fish Creek drainage,
    (A) the waters from ADF&G regulatory markers located at its mouth upstream to an ADF&G regulatory marker located one-quarter mile upstream from the Knik-Goose Bay Road, are
    open to sport fishing from August 7 December 31 on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays
    from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., except that sport fishing for king salmon is closed;
    (11) the Wasilla Creek drainage, including Rabbit Slough,
    (D) from August 7 December 31, downstream of the Alaska Railroad bridge is open to sport
    fishing for salmon, except king salmon, on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays from 6:00 a.m. to
    6:00 p.m.; bag and possession limit of three fish, of which all three may be coho salmon; a
    person who takes the bag limit of salmon from Wasilla Creek may not sport fish for any species
    of fish that same day in waters open to sport fishing for salmon;
    Denby S. Lloyd,
    Commissioner
    By delegation to:
    The 2010 return of coho salmon to certain Knik Arm Drainage Area waters of Northern Cook Inlet
    appears to be strong and providing for above average recreational catch rates. Coho salmon returning to
    Fish Creek are counted at a weir located upstream of the Knik Goose Bay Road, and upstream of the
    sport fishery. This weir is primarily operated to count sockeye salmon; therefore it is typically only in
    operation during a portion of the coho salmon return. Historically, this weir has been used to count coho
    salmon and historically had an escapement goal of 1,200 to 4,400 fish. As of August 3, counts show
    1,386 coho salmon have passed the weir and the current projected escapement of coho salmon into Fish
    Creek is estimated to be approximately 12,000 fish.
    Based upon previous studies, there is a strong correlation between runs to Fish Creek and the other Knik
    Arm streams, specifically Cottonwood and Wasilla creeks. Therefore, it is warranted to increase the bag
    limit from two per day to three per day in all waters of Knik Arm, except the Little Susitna River and
    Jim Creek, and to add another day on the weekend only fisheries of Cottonwood, Fish, and Wasilla
    creeks to Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
    It is not anticipated that the increased sport harvest from this emergency order will lower the
    escapement below desired escapement levels in Cottonwood, Fish, and Wasilla creeks.
    DISTRIBUTION:
    The distribution list for this emergency order is on file at the Region 2 Office of Alaska Department of
    Fish and Game, Division of Sport Fish, 333 Raspberry Road, Anchorage, AK 99518, (907) 267-2218.

Thank you that clears it up. I still would like it to be on the web site seems more official that way. Hope it will be by Friday. Might hit Wasilla creek Sunday or Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    Thank you that clears it up. I still would like it to be on the web site seems more official that way. Hope it will be by Friday. Might hit Wasilla creek Sunday or Saturday
    I did actually talk to Fish & game... he confirmed the Order to me, and that the North bank of the Knik river downstream of Jim Creek is considered to be part of Jim Creek and the 2 Coho limit applies.

I'd like to try rabbit Slough as well Saturday but considering I got to fish Jim this morning I thing the wife might veto that plan.

Jim Creek is my home away from home on week days. I go after work at least two or three times a week. Monday I got my three fish with one red. Tuesday I got two silvers in quick then tried to catch a red with a fly but ended up catching at least 12 silvers could not get a red for some reason. I also caught a King on Tuesday about 8 LBS, a Jack and a Pink all let go concourse . Had to stay home yesterday to get the fish ready for the smoker and today to smoke them. As much as I like Jim Creek been fishing there for 25 years but I wont go there on a weekend. I am not that people friendly.

EO on ADFG's ma- su fishing report, effective August 7th, 12:01 am
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishi...il/Area_key/29

i also dont go there on weekends its to hecktic. i will stick with the week days. was just there last night and the water is pretty high now. spots that were gravel adjacent to the river are now water only. can only take about 3 steps out in the xtra toughs.

not only is the water high the trail as it comes out of the trees is now pretty much in the Knik itself. if you know where the shallow spot is it's drivable... barely...

the problem is that with flowing water that could change very quickly... my SUV is small enough I can navigate the ATV trail to the left if I'm careful (and the bug guys don't pothole it up to much more) but I would say anyone without a raisesd wheel base will be walkin as of tomorrow.

I wonder if the Butte tow truck company sells stock... my prediction is they will be VERY busy Saturday hauling out flooded engine blocks.

Was there last night and saw a Toyota Corolla or similar being towed back on the road. My Subaru gets me most places, but I wasn't going to risk it on that [road]. I walked in with a friend. Thanks a bunch to the very nice folks that cut our walk way short by allowing us to hop in!!

Fishing wasn't too great, btw. Didn't see a single fish landed while I was there. At least the guys driving their cars into the Knik River provided some entertainment...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I fished it last night, and saw 1 pickup (looked like an f-150) with a flooded engine block, and one raised jeep being loaded onto a trailer. I wouldn't risk it with my trailblazer. I am just ridin the quad back. We did catch some fish though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!