Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350 REM MAG or 35 WHELEN?

Default 350 REM MAG or 35 WHELEN?

If you had to choose between a Remington model seven in 350 rem mag with a 20" barrel or a Remington 700 in 35 whelen with 22" barrel, which would you choose and why?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    If you had to choose between a Remington model seven in 350 rem mag with a 20" barrel or a Remington 700 in 35 whelen with 22" barrel, which would you choose and why?
    The Whelen. I already have dies and brass to shoot the Whelen for years to come, not to mention that the Whelen uses the ubiquitous '06 case that can be found for a small percentage of the cost of 350 RM brass. The Model 7 has significant magazine restrictions that limit certain bullets and the 700 will almost certainly be throated to accept an OAL that will allow maximum capacity in the Whelen. If you need to save the few ounces of weight or the few inches in the length of the rifle then the 350 RM is better, other than that go with the Whelen.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Neither, I'd go (and did go) with the ruger all weather 350 rem mag. They are balistic twins, so either chambering is a good choice, but I prefer the compact short action, and the ruger is a very accurate, tough and reasonably priced gun.

If I was going for a full length action I'd go with a 338 win mag, as much as I like the 35's, the 338 just makes so much more practical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Neither, I'd go (and did go) with the ruger all weather 350 rem mag. They are balistic twins, so either chambering is a good choice, but I prefer the compact short action, and the ruger is a very accurate, tough and reasonably priced gun.

If I was going for a full length action I'd go with a 338 win mag, as much as I like the 35's, the 338 just makes so much more practical sense.
    I'll not argue which is best, but having an excellent Sako L61R in 338 WM and a 35 Whelen I know that I carry and enjoy the Whelen more frequently. At practical game ranges (<300 yards) I've noticed zero difference in their terminal performance and the Whelen weighs more than a pound less and produces less recoil in the bargain. Aside from ammo availability I just don't see much advantage in the 338 WM. I don't have much need for a 400 yard moose and bear rifle so the Whelen makes more and more sense for my purposes. The 338 WM is more than a Whelen, but IME the Whelen has always been enough and enough is all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'll not argue which is best, but having an excellent Sako L61R in 338 WM and a 35 Whelen I know that I carry and enjoy the Whelen more frequently. At practical game ranges (<300 yards) I've noticed zero difference in their terminal performance and the Whelen weighs more than a pound less and produces less recoil in the bargain. Aside from ammo availability I just don't see much advantage in the 338 WM. I don't have much need for a 400 yard moose and bear rifle so the Whelen makes more and more sense for my purposes. The 338 WM is more than a Whelen, but IME the Whelen has always been enough and enough is all I need.
    I know that the. Whelen is the ballistic equivalent of the 350 Rem Mag, but I won't shoot one until they change the name to something fancy, like the "358 Whelen Super Ultra Magnum" or something cool like that. They can keep the cartridge the same as long as they make the name something fancier.

I have owned several of both and prefer the Whelen for all the reasons 1Co15:9 stated plus they feedshells from the magazine slicker than the 350.

I'd have to go with the 35 Whelen for same reasons.

I have been playing around with a 350 Rem Mag (Ruger M77MKII All Weather) for about 3 years now. Previously I played around with a 35 Whelen.

I think that I prefer the 35 Whelen. Although they are ballistic twins, here are my reasons.

1. The 35 Whelen is a 30-06 case and thus the magazine capacity it better. (4 to 5 rounds depending on the action)(3 for the 350)
    2. The 35 Whelen does not have that darn magnum belt which can sometimes cause feeding problems.
    3. The 35 Whelen case neck is better suited to handle long bullets like the 225 grain Accubond. The 350's neck is too short.
    4. 350 Rem Mag brass is harder to find.

Yes the 350RM works in a short action. BUT I personally think the whole short action deal is very over-rated.
    The Remington model 7 has a fairly short magazine box, so the longer COL I am using in my Ruger M77MKII probably won't work in a Model 7.
    The M-700 Remington is a very smooth and proven action. Plus there are all sorts of after market goodies for the M-700. Many times more than the Model 7.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Yeh, you guys pretty much already told me everything I was already thinking. And I haven't had a whelen in years. I traded off mine in a moment of duh, about 5 years ago. I think it might be time for another one. Thanks for all of the opinions. I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm going to see a guy tomorrow who knows a guy that knows people, or something like that.

i currently own a sako .35 whelen w/ 24" # 3 obermeyer barrel. it is stocked by brown precision and wears a 1.5X5 leupold in leupold mounts. it is a dandy shooter and natural pointer. this rifle is not fussy as to sling pressure, and groups (from the sit) nearly as well as from the bench.
    this rifle favors sierra 225's and aac 4300 powder in most any case available, is cheap to shoot and DEADLY.
    happy trails.
    jh

I'll echo what others have said.
    However, I really like the short action in a bush rifle, which is what I wanted it for.
    If you are going to get a 350RM in a Ruger, you might as well get the Whelen so you aren't COAL restricted.
    I could have bought a Ruger, but the Rem 673 just carried better, and felt smaller, and that in itself means a lot to me while creeping through Willows and tight Spruce. The 700 with a 20" barrel you spoke of would be a great tight bush gun But if you don't mind a 30-06 type overall length in the woods, well, there ya go.
    My $.02.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

My top 3 hunting rifles are (in no particular order): '06, 270 Win., and 35 Whelen. Notice a pattern here? If all else fails, I can always buy '06 brass and keep on shooting.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Well, my Remington 35 Whelen model 700 with 22" barrel, camo synthetic stock, topped with a Leupold 3-9x40 will be here in about a week and a half, according to my gun shop buddy. It will nicely complement my gun safe. I really didn't need it, but that really has no bearing on gun purchases. If it did, i wouldn't have needed to buy any guns since my first 30-06 20 some years ago. Thanks for all the input, I think it did help with the final decision.

Good Deal.

Well, my Remington 35 Whelen model 700 with 22" barrel, camo synthetic stock, topped with a Leupold 3-9x40 will be here in about a week and a half, according to my gun shop buddy. It will nicely complement my gun safe. I really didn't need it, but that really has no bearing on gun purchases. If it did, i wouldn't have needed to buy any guns since my first 30-06 20 some years ago. Thanks for all the input, I think it did help with the final decision.
    It should complement the Swede in your arsenal. I hope to see some photos in the next week or so......

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    It should complement the Swede in your arsenal. I hope to see some photos in the next week or so......
    You can count on it.

I hope your wife doesn't read this Of course you needed it
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

You know I feel the 35 caliber has been neglected by the firearms and ammunition companies. The 358 Norma Mag is a good round but not readily availabe. I think that if ruger would neck down thier 375 Ruger to 35 they would sell some guns. But maybe it would just take sales away from the 375. Maybe the 338 people are happy with what they have and so are the 375 guys and the 350 rem and 35 whelen people have filled that nich. Lenny

I think you are going to like your Whelen alot. I have an M700 CDL and it is a shooter. It has taken elk, bear and deer for me so far. I used the 200gr Rem factory loads on deer and they worked decent, but they didn't exit on deer, so I started loading 225gr TSX's. Those gave excellent penetration and killed game pretty quickly. I have since switched to the 250gr Speer and the accuracy is better than the TSX's, they are less expensive and seem to really hold the accuracy well down range. I haven't put one into meat yet, but I am hoping to give them a try sometime in the future. There are a ton of good bullets for the 35 Whelen and RL15 is your friend. You get darn near 338 Win Mag speeds and out to 300 I can't tell the difference between the two of them. Good luck with your new rifle. My 35 Whelen and 270WSM would be the last two rifles I would part with! Scotty
    Semper Fi

The last and only other time I had a 35 whelen was about 10 years ago. At the time I didn't handload, but a good friend did, so he loaded me up some 225 Sierra's. They seemed to do a good job on critters back then. I shoot mostly Hornadys now days with a few Speer and Nosler's thrown in for good measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast