Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quartered grizz found in dumpster??

Default Quartered grizz found in dumpster??

Anyone hear of a bear found in a dumpster on FWA. I came back from leave and one of our soldiers said that he discovered bear remains in footlockers in a housing dumpster. The MPs and fish and game responded to it and the MPs had to clean it up. The bear was found around the 23rd of July. I have not found any info or news stories on it but two soldiers confirmed the report. Wondering if anyone heard anything??

I'm not sure what the problem would be unless it was a not reported DLP or other poaching. I don't think grizz meat is required to be salvaged in most units anyway. My optimistic guess would be that somebody harvested the bear, salvaged the meat along with the hide and skull and tossed the meat when they found out they didn't have to keep it or nobody would process it.

I am pretty much in agreement w/ tyrex here. Likely much ado about nothing.

Im trying to fiind out about that, altho, Im sure nothing can or will be done.But on a side note there was a Moose poached in the YTA recently with only the Tenderloins cut out and the rest was left to rot.

About 10 years ago, forum member Snyd, found a moose quarter in a dumpster. The bear guy is probably the same guy. Snyd needs to cancel his sheep hunt and get the investigation going!!
    Isn't snyd a policeman?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yup, I'm already on it and have a pretty good case built. Only prob is the suspects are federal subsistence users. I need to figure out how to plug a few loopholes. That's gonna be the tough part.

Default waste

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Yup, I'm already on it and have a pretty good case built. Only prob is the suspects are federal subsistence users. I need to figure out how to plug a few loopholes. That's gonna be the tough part.
    A federal subsistence user that can kill and discard meat with it being "much ado about nothing" illustrates a larger problem than one bear wasted, I think. What do you think?

I guess I should have put a couple of these or these in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    A federal subsistence user that can kill and discard meat
    All users, Family, can legally kill and discard meat of all kinds. Sport, subsistence, fed, state. Are you suggesting it is more wrong for one group to discard meat than another?
    Salvage requirements at both state and fed level only last 2 weeks. Meat and hides can go anywhere after that.
    We don't know what kind of bear was in the dumpster. Don't know if it was good meat from a berry eating bear, or stinky meat from a fish eater. Much ado about nothing.

Regardless if the bear was legal, to throw it in a dumpster for someone else to clean up in a neighborhood is ignorant. They didnt even try and bag it, it was placed in unsealable plastic containers and loose pieces in the bottom of the dumpster. If you find out you dont have to salvage the meat(which you should be tracking before you decide to kill the animal) then take it out in the woods and leave it like a gut pile and nature will take care of it. I don't feel like this is a violation of game laws, of course if it was a griz, there are only a few areas where the season is open in July.

A dumpster seems like a perfectly good place for a bunch of rotten meat. They are generally contracted for several pickups per week and are taken right to the land fill with all of the other trash. I much prefer it to the common practice of backing a truck up to any available pull off and heaving rancid meat out on the ground which will stink and bring in flies and could cause a bear-human encounter.

Like the bunch of fish carcasses next to the trail headed up baldy that we ran across last weekend. Shoot they had to cross the little su to get there
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default moral vs. legal

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    All users, Family, can legally kill and discard meat of all kinds. Sport, subsistence, fed, state. Are you suggesting it is more wrong for one group to discard meat than another?
    No, MT, I am not. It's equally wrong for anyone to do.

Please note that I did not say it was illegal. I believe there to be a significant difference between legality and morality, but morality is for each of us to judge for our own selves.

And before anyone chimes in here saying "Gosh, you should be go and telling the BOG/BOF with an official proposal " (within their proposal time-line and paperwork, etc...). Gee, I already did.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hmm interesting thread... bear meat in the dumpster is not against the law at any time of the year in reality... nor are hides, heads or claw,

once the salvage requirements have been met, it may be tossed out with the trash.

bear meat is one of those things, that we encourage folks to at least try be fore they throw it out, or leave it in the field... and Grizz has less of a chance near rivers, communities with dumps or other areas they get into nasty stuff, of being a quality meal, when compared to the black bear meat. we still also deal with the long time stigma and train of thoughts, of bears being inedible. education is the only thing that will change it in the view of hunters... but the lower 48 hunters that come up here, or new residnets... really have no idea you can eat bears with good success...

last spring when i wrote the props that allowed for hunters choice of salvage or hide, and / or meat the trooper ( Capt Waldon) at the BOG asked me if i didn't want it why i didn't just put it in the dumpster, (summer hides) i informed him simply put i hunt for meat and did not want to HAVE to carry a blown hide home nor deal with the preservation of it that is required under salvage requirements until it got home.

i may not agree with the practice of dumping meat, but there is nothing to prevent it thats for sure....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What is the status on the proposition for the choice of salvaging the meat OR the hide. It has been one of the bigger hassles of my spring bear hunting to have to deal with bringing the hide in. When all I want is the meat.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    What is the status on the proposition for the choice of salvaging the meat OR the hide. It has been one of the bigger hassles of my spring bear hunting to have to deal with bringing the hide in. When all I want is the meat.
    that was passed, read the new regs, but it is NOT state wide as of yet so know what area you are in, and the regs for it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    A dumpster seems like a perfectly good place for a bunch of rotten meat. They are generally contracted for several pickups per week and are taken right to the land fill with all of the other trash. I much prefer it to the common practice of backing a truck up to any available pull off and heaving rancid meat out on the ground which will stink and bring in flies and could cause a bear-human encounter.
    Im suggesting they take it back to where they shot it because they should have been educated enough to know what they had to salvage and what they didnt. I know when I lived on post they only picked up trash once a week. And if you are going to do it, put it in BAGS and try and seal as best you can. Do you bring your gut pile back and place it in a dumpster?

Again..........salvage requirements last 2 weeks. This person may have brought this meat home to satisfy the legal salvage requirement. (Or maybe he just thought it might be good to eat, but found out otherwise).
    Your too quick to point fingers, ga2!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Again..........salvage requirements last 2 weeks. This person may have brought this meat home to satisfy the legal salvage requirement. (Or maybe he just thought it might be good to eat, but found out otherwise).
    Your too quick to point fingers, ga2!
    Here is the definition of salvage right out of the game regs. Nowhere does it say anything about two weeks. Where is the two weeks coming from?

salvage - to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wildfowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in a manner which saves or prevents the edible meat from waste, and preserves the head, skull or hide for human use.

Dead on AFhunter, my call to the F&W troopers had them confirm that "thrown in dumpster" was inconsistent w/ the term "Human use". 2 weeks is a fabrication that doesn't exist in the law. I have actually posted the exact statute (the regs are a guide, the statute is more in depth) in the past and am not going to re-do all the research at this time, but there is a past post on it in the archives. It was part of the discussion that led up to Vince's proposal. I for one hope that the hide OR meat gets expanded state wide at the first possible opportunity. Unfortunately it wasn't possible during the last round since only the interior was on the docket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast