Thread: Wasilla lake fish?

Default Wasilla lake fish?

Took my dogs down there last night to go for a swim and saw a lot, I mean a lot of tails breaking water. Seemed too big for trout. Could salmon be swimming up the creek off of Seward meridian and staging in the lake? Pretty stupid question coming from a guy that lives all of one minute from there but I never bothered to fish there myself. Anyone have the 411?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Yes on the salmon. The creek that flows into wasilla lake is cottonwood and does get salmon in it. Closed to fishing I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Yes on the salmon. The creek that flows into wasilla lake is cottonwood and does get salmon in it. Closed to fishing I believe.
    YEs there are salomn that go up there silvers and reds mostly. And as a matter of fact it is open to fishing on the weekends. Check the regs though to make sure and if I am not mistaken there is an E.O. that says you can have 3 silvers out of there right now.

Thanks guys. I feel pretty stupid not knowing this since I have lived in Wasilla for over 20 years. Guess it was just too close to home!!! LOL
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    YEs there are salomn that go up there silvers and reds mostly. And as a matter of fact it is open to fishing on the weekends. Check the regs though to make sure and if I am not mistaken there is an E.O. that says you can have 3 silvers out of there right now.
    The fishing area is pretty much all just a deep silt trough lined with people and the parking is awful down there. I spent an hour in the parking lot pushing people out when I got ready to leave last year. I managed to be mostly clean fishing but was filthy by the time I actually got in my truck to leave. From my time there Jims is an easier trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post

to Clarify...

Cottonwood Creek is open for Salmon fishing on weekends for a short stretch near the mouth where it enters the inlet...

The LAKE is CLOSED to salmon fishing...

Could just dipnet one of the several access point of cottonwood between wasilla lake and the KGB area. I've seen three kids so far with a stringer if reds and a few landing nets doin a fantastic job!!!

Apparently it's illegal, but I guess that's only if you get caught.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Could just dipnet one of the several access point of cottonwood between wasilla lake and the KGB area. I've seen three kids so far with a stringer if reds and a few landing nets doin a fantastic job!!!

Apparently it's illegal, but I guess that's only if you get caught.
    Then report the kids. The F&G guys have their work cut out for them this time of year. They rely on the honest game seekers to keep them informed. If we don't blow the whistle, the regs will only get tighter. Just common sense, folks. If you want to fish and hunt, do your part to ensure our areas remain open.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Then report the kids. The F&G guys have their work cut out for them this time of year. They rely on the honest game seekers to keep them informed. If we don't blow the whistle, the regs will only get tighter. Just common sense, folks. If you want to fish and hunt, do your part to ensure our areas remain open.
    oh I certainly did my part as far as informing the troopers. Dipping this creek is certainly nothing new, F&G is well aware of the issue as I've recently began seeing more of their presence in the neighborhood. Blocking a culvert with landing nets then spooking fish makes for an easy nights catch.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Good to know. I've reported someone fishing Cottonwood before too. He thought he was in a spot where he couldn't be seen, but one of the ATV trails I ride goes within view.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.