Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Kenai Float/Fishin' Scary moment...

Default Upper Kenai Float/Fishin' Scary moment...

Our adventure turned into a misadventure. We launched at the Bridge upriver and right around noon we capsized against Preacher's rock.

Good news is we all survived and even caught fish upriver. Bad news is a capsized raft. It popped back up after all but my husband was off of it...he was able to float over to us on shore
    Upper Kenai water levels are crazy high and that water was moving so fast, we barely had time to think after rounding Schooner's and couldn't get to the right to make it around Preacher's rock. Everyone had lifejackets on, so we all made it to shore, lost our poles/tackle/everything else...but we're all safe. Paramedics in Cooper Landing are great folks!!!!
    Oh, and since I posted this on the fishing forums because you are some of the people we know...we did catch a nice beautiful red upriver.
    So, if anyone at Russian River Ferry crossing or downriver caught a blue cooler or any number of our fly poles, it would make my day to retrieve them.

Be safe out there and wear your PFD's!
    Last edited by AKFishinGirl; 08-05-2010 at 13:44. Reason: additional info
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

All is well that ends well. Glad you are smart enough to have life jackets. Hope your next float is less adventurous

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks, Dan. You are right...we're all safe and sound, so that IS all that matters.
    June said she's not so sure about my husband & me on the water...gigantic falling cottonwoods last year, now this, hmmm....
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Right On for the lifejacket deal, Glad you all came out of it full of air,

PS that quote of yours on occasions for Hope is outstanding,

maybe it'll apply to your flyrods and coolers recovery also.

Thanks for posting Reality, good for all of us to hear.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishinGirl View Post
    June said she's not so sure about my husband & me on the water...gigantic falling cottonwoods last year, now this, hmmm....

Nah, just a run of bad luck, that is all. You should be good to go for sometime now. Maybe 5-6 incident free years.

However, there is no way in hell I am getting in your raft.

Kidding.

Shet happens. No exception to this.

Glad you are no worse for wear (aside from PTSD)

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have made this offer to Kristie. She is upset she lost all her gear, Im gonna load her up on any flies she wants. Plus I will toss in one of my 7wt TFO rods for her to get it started. Plus ill push 5 packs of beads in the deal. Anyone else want to jump in???

Actually I just talked to a buddy of mine and I got a brand new Echo 7wt gonna be heading her way
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Glad your all safe to float again. Reminds everyone to not only wear the PFD but tie everything down so as to not lose all your stuff when that quick moment in time happens.

we had some bad luck a couple of years ago. Not as bad as hers. Lost wedding band, 300.00 glasses 2 walkie talkies and a broken g loomis rod in the first 3 hours on the river. Things will get better. She almost did not want to float the next day because of it but we did

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    However, there is no way in hell I am getting in your raft.

Glad you are no worse for wear (aside from PTSD)

-Dan
    I totally don't blame you there. haha!

I'm still coming to 'palooza, tho. Even if only to conquer my fears, now.
    ~ Kristie~

we will get you back on the horse. Id like to get your rod and flies and beads to you sooner. PM me with your address ok

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I have made this offer to Kristie. She is upset she lost all her gear, Im gonna load her up on any flies she wants. Plus I will toss in one of my 7wt TFO rods for her to get it started. Plus ill push 5 packs of beads in the deal. Anyone else want to jump in???

Absolutely, mighty big of you man. I will match that gesture with a Cabelas Prestige reel to go on the 7wt. It is back home in NC, and I suspect she doesn't want to wait till Sept 18 to get back fishing. However, if you (Kristie) don't get a reel on that rod before then, shoot me a PM and I will bring it up with me. Flying to NC for one day, packing, then flying up to Anchorage on Sept 18th. Shoot me a PM if you still need a reel by then. It is a budget reel, but it will work better than the invisible one you got now.

-Dan

I have her address you can send it to her. Another member pm'd me with another reel so Ill match that reel with another rod. We are making progress folks

Dan wont be home to get the reel untill he comes up in september but there is another rell coming. It will be waiting at fishaplooza

yesterday I was wondering if that rock would flip a raft.

For those who don't know Preachers rock is basically the only place thats really dangerous on the upper aside from sweepers, it is right after the bend below the bridge between the ferry and the russian campground. That bend really likes to throw you to the outside and has a nice little wave train on the outside which could swamp a boat if you hit it sideways. Right after that is preachers rock which even at this high water it sticks out a foot. Stay to river right and you'll be fine

Glad everyone is safe
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up My care package

Ok, First off a huge thanks to Mike at Mossy's fly shop here in town. Without him this would not happen. He is donating some goodies too. He is very fair and honest and worked me a nice deal.

1. 2 Flyrods. 1 Echo 8wt and 1 Echo 7wt wt 9'

2. 2 Reels both Sages 1680's

3. 15 assorted articulating flesh flies for fall bow fishing and they do work now too

4. 5 packages of 6mm trout beads for bows

5. floating fly line and backer for both reels. You will have to spool them as i dont know if you were left or right handed retrieve.

6. 10 different egg sucking leeches

I hope this will help and make sure you bring it all to fishaplooza

Oh and that does not include whatever mike is throwing in from his shop. SO get back on the horse and lets fish.

I am beyond deeply humbled beyond words to you all. To simply say 'Thank you' seems so inadequate...but for lack of better words, Thank You!
    ~ Kristie~

Come fish with us in september. That is the thanks. I want to see you catching fish.

Yes Virginia (Kristie), there is a Santa Claus! AKA alaskachuck!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Yes Virginia (Kristie), there is a Santa Claus! AKA alaskachuck!
    I believe! I believe!
    ~ Kristie~

Default falling timbers and maladies

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishinGirl View Post
    Thanks, Dan. You are right...we're all safe and sound, so that IS all that matters.
    I haven't read about any cottonwoods falling; sorry if I missed it; otherwise do post it.

Cottonwoods are soft wood, they're expected to fall. I had the top of a 120 foot lodgepole pine tree fall less than 4 feet from me once; that is something I'll never forget... it sliced right through the camper I was sitting in at the time. My poor cat never did recover; she was closer than I to the explosion. There's some funny parts of that story too, that can't be typed...

Its good to see that after the trouble you've seen, you've not only got people here sending you replacement equipment, AND you've got plans to get back on the water to use it. That's great. Congrats for gettin' back on that horse after it threw you good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast