Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWS! Changes to Unit 26B grizzly season and permitting

Default NEWS! Changes to Unit 26B grizzly season and permitting

The Board of Game held an emergency meeting yesterday regarding changing the Unit 26B grizzly season and permitting. ADFG is concerned about northeast Alaska muskox population and grizzly predation.

So far, what I know is that the Board did approve a change to the season start date. The new start date for both residents and non-residents for grizzly in 26B is August 10th, which coincides with the beginning of sheep season.

For residents, it will be an open general season hunt.

20 additional non-resident permits will be provided over the counter.

I am waiting on more specific info and for it to be posted online.

So no more drawing permit DB990? I put in a request to the board to have the season changed, but they rejected it since they passed a different proposal that only extended the fall hunt by 5 days or so. I wanted them to extend the spring season into mid June to coincide with the other boardering units.

Great news regardless. I'm driving the road on the 12th, so I'll hopefully get a chance at one. Please post more information if you find it, I'll do the same.

I just called Fairbanks F&G and here is what I was told:

DB990 replaced with general season hunt starting August 10th. This area encompasses the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. Congrats to all those that spent money and drew a tag for grizzlies now that it is not needed.

General season hunt in remainder of 26B from August 10-25th. It was unclear to the gal I talked to what exactly that applied to. I would presume it would apply to both DB987 (Non-Res Grizzly) and to the general season for Remainder of 26B. What I don't get it why didn't they just simply state that the season will start earlier. They specifically mentioned the season from the 10-25, and the normal season starts the 25th.

Regardless, I'll be strapping on my fixed blades for the drive south next Thursday/Friday. Hopefully I'll get to put the sneak on one. Life insurance is all paid up!

Thumbs up Thanks Jerod!

Great to know I'll pick up my Griz tag before I head North next week. I hope to get one and a wolf or two also.

Wink

I guess I don't have to worry about trying to get my DB990 permit deferred when I get back from this deployment.

I wonder if F&G will refund my money??

Am I correct in assuming that as self-guided, non-res hunters, this change makes no difference to us, we must be guided to hunt grizzly?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandnoles View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that as self-guided, non-res hunters, this change makes no difference to us, we must be guided to hunt grizzly?
    correct... non res still need a guide to hunt grizzly or browns in AK...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Red face Thanks bushrat!

Sorry I hit enter before posting this earlier! Great news and I'll be packing my Griz tag.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    Sorry I hit enter before posting this earlier! Great news and I'll be packing my Griz tag.
    They did away with the 25 dollar fee for unit 26B, not sure if you need a tag or not. The change is on page 5 of the regs. If you would post what you find out.

Steve

Just to save a few Musk Ox! Humph! This is just the BoG's first step into intensive management. Humans "meddling" in Nature! Things were just fine before we came along..................right Dux?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    Fishing4play, Just got off the Phone with Jason from the Fairbanks F&G office. He informed me that the date has changed to open on the 10th of Aug for 28B, no tag or fee is required. There will be a press release that should be in the paper.

Good luck and go getem.

Steve

Default Still waiting for approved release from ADFG

Thought the ADFG info would come today. Should be soon....sorry if there is any confusion.

The way I understand it, for any of you non-resident hunters who may have sheep or other hunts scheduled with a guide this fall in 26B, there will be a first-come first-serve allocation of a limited number of permits available after this is formally announced. F&G will explain how to go about that.

Thanks Stid for the other info you got.

Have to agree with MT'er completely. I spent 15 years hunting sheep on the north side of the Brooks and the population of griz I saw was more common than hens teeth - barely. The musk ox were mostly out on the coastal plain, those that wandered into the mountains usually never made it past the winter - b/o the wolves, the bears stayed mostly in the mountains.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

What really takes the cake is what if someone was a permit winner and planned their hunt to be up there around the 25th, not only did they draw the DB990, (Waste) but then makes one unable to draw any kodiak/bear permits. The way the system plays out is Crazy.. Absolute BS..

Thanks Steve,
    Nice no locking tag required. It's posted on the ADF&G website now too! Good luck everyone and be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Fishing4play, Just got off the Phone with Jason from the Fairbanks F&G office. He informed me that the date has changed to open on the 10th of Aug for 28B, no tag or fee is required. There will be a press release that should be in the paper.

Good luck and go getem.

Steve

Here is the release from F&G:
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/...08-05-2010.pdf

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    NEWS
    Thursday, August 5, 2010

Unit 26B Grizzly Bear Seasons Opened Early

In an effort to help slow the decline of North Slope muskox populations, the Board of Game voted yesterday to extend the grizzly bear season and waive a permit requirement for resident hunters in Unit 26B.

The Board of Game met in an emergency meeting on Wednesday to consider changes to bear hunting regulations in Unit 26B on the North Slope.

The muskox population on the Slope is rapidly declining, and grizzly bear predation has been identified as a primary cause. ADF&G staff requested the Board to take measures to increase the bear harvest to help reduce predation on the muskox herd.

We know bears are having a negative effect on the muskox herd. Wed like to increase the bear harvest this year to give the muskoxen a chance to stabilize, said Regional Supervisor David James.

The Board voted unanimously to open the resident and nonresident grizzly bear hunting season on August 10 instead of August 25.

The Board also voted to replace the resident drawing permit hunt (DB990) for grizzly bears within the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area (DCHMA) with a general season for grizzly bears to allow an increased harvest.

All resident archery hunters who possess a hunting license, and an Alaska bow hunter education card or an International Bowhunter Education Program card may take a grizzly bear within the DHCMA between August 10 and May 31, and must have it sealed within 30 days of kill. No additional permit, nor a $25.00 bear tag is required.

All resident hunters who applied for a DB990 drawing permit will receive a refund of their application fee.

The nonresident drawing permit hunt (DB987) remains intact. A total of 10 permits out of 20 to be allotted have been issued, and the remaining 10 permits will be issued beginning on August 6 on a first come, first served basis to nonresidents who apply. Instructions and application forms are available on-line at http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov or contact Jessica Mitchell at 459-7272.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    What really takes the cake is what if someone was a permit winner and planned their hunt to be up there around the 25th, not only did they draw the DB990, (Waste) but then makes one unable to draw any kodiak/bear permits. The way the system plays out is Crazy.. Absolute BS..
    I think you can look up the permit results as to how you did on each individual drawing. If you found out you had a second or third choice that you won, and they gave you the first choice tag (DB990), then you could really argue to them to issue you the second choice permit. That really blows though, I thought about you right away when I heard this. Kind of puts a damper on the whole process, but sometimes things change.

As for mountains vs. flats where the musk ox are, I would agree to the statement. The drawing was put in place originally due to there being too many caribou hunters that were opportunistic and unprepared to go after grizzlies. I'm glad to see it finally gone because that was a pretty discriminatory ruling if you ask me. They would have never applied something like that to rifle seasons, and there was no biological reason to limit the hunt.

I've taken my two grizzlies up north where I routinely see musk ox. This won't just benefit sheep hunters, I'll be trying to get one start Tuesday up north!

good job guys, the more you talk on this post, the more freaking hunters you invite to join you on your hunt.... see you there!!!

WiggyVan northbound on 21st! This year I'm prosecuting mud-finger-painting graffiti artists!

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    WiggyVan northbound on 21st! This year I'm prosecuting mud-finger-painting graffiti artists!

Taylor

Mark, you know you are only asking for it now....

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast