Thread: Cow/Calf Moose Question

Default Cow/Calf Moose Question

My hunting group could end up in a situation where we could harvest both a cow, & its calf, at the same time this fall in Canada. Since it would be unlikely the calf would survive if we took momma out first and it ran off before we could drop it, we plan on dropping the calf first under these circumstances and I was wondering from more experienced moose hunters what to expect the cow to do next?
    We do not want to shoot at each at the same time - want to take care of one first ethically and then focus on # 2 if she will stick around?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

She will stay and maybe try to get the calf up, don't wait to long or she will be gone. Where are you going? I will be up in naknia my self.

The one time we shot the calf and missed the mom, the next morning (not early enough, I told them we should leave a guy in the area for a day but noooooo, will they listen to me) we saw her tracks all over the area looking for the calf. So waiting to see if she comes back may also be a good idea (however, one instance does not make a trend).

It's the best I got

Quote Originally Posted by pa bearcamp View Post
    She will stay and maybe try to get the calf up, don't wait to long or she will be gone. Where are you going? I will be up in naknia my self.
    Pa B, gonna be about 75 miles due East of red Lake Ontario. Gonna meet Guide/owner at his resort on a lengthy lake/river system and then take boats about 15 miles up the system to their outpost cabin. He has been bear baiting last couple weeks and seeing several moose per day. Our tags are for 2 bulls and 1 cow - however we can shoot calves instead if we choose.
    Where is Naknia?

Thanks BearBob, makes sense to me for sure. I would think she would stay pretty close for a day or two and some calf calls may really bring her out if your scenario would play out. If all went well I would imagine the calf would go down pretty easy with 1 shot and second hunter should have a decent shot on the cow I am figuring before she split. Hoping a couple nice bulls make a mistake and come in first though!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

We will be flying out of nakina with is north of lake Nippion, we have a bull and calf tags. hope the weather is good but not to warm. We are going to be self guided , last trip we got a 52 inch bull, and the year before a calf. good luck let us know how you do?

We will be flying out of nakina with is north of lake Nippion, we have a bull and calf tags. hope the weather is good but not to warm. We are going to be self guided , last trip we got a 52 inch bull, and the year before a calf. good luck let us know how you do?
    PaB, you will be a couple hundred miles East of us it appears. When do you fly out?
    We will arrive Oct 9th or 10th. We have had anywhere from 75 degree's and black flies out the wazoo to 10 degree's and blizzards during the middle of Oct. Sometimes during the same week. Most of the time its mid 40's - 50's day and lower 30's to upper 20's at night.
    If them lakes start to ice up they may pull you out early when float planes are involved.
    Got any pics of that 52incher?
    Our guide saw a mid to upper 50's yesterday still in full velvet. He said he laft a handfull of carrots to keep him in the area!
    Good luck to your group as well!

We are going to fly out the last week of september, and float a river then end up at a camp for a few days. I will try to post some pics.

Hope it is not to hot this year. Is this your first time going for moose, good luck.

We are going to fly out the last week of september, and float a river then end up at a camp for a few days. I will try to post some pics.

Hope it is not to hot this year. Is this your first time going for moose, good luck.
    Sounds like a Cool trip!
    My son and I flew a float plane out of Atikokan in 2004 and hunted moose about 100 miles due west of your take off point.
    We were there Oct 13th - 21st. Had 3 days of heat and bugs, then balance of trip was about 10 - 20 degree's and periods of heavy snow. We called in 4 bulls and took one of those, shot a second one feeding in a clearcut the next to last day. Nothing big, called in 1 dandy mid 50's but as hunting goes we just could not get a shot before he winded us... Got some pics in my profile albums if you go there.
    This your second moose hunt?

Smokey,
    Good luck on your hunt. My father hunted the Red Lake area from the late 40's to the early 70's. He was very successfull on his moose hunts back then. He took several bulls, the biggest being a 58"er along Lake Winnesaga. After that one, he would usually try to take a barren cow, much better eating. I looked at trying to get a fly-out from Red Lake, but changed my mind and booked a DIY with 40-Mile Air for September. I am very interested in your hunt, though. I've been to the Red Lake/Ear Falls area before, and it still has a lot to offer. Wish you luck, and keep us posted on your trip. Knute

Unhappy unbelievable

I just can't imagine going on a hunt and intentionally taking a calf and or considering the idea of killing a mother and baby as a sound ethical way of sportmanship or conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I just can't imagine going on a hunt and intentionally taking a calf and or considering the idea of killing a mother and baby as a sound ethical way of sportmanship or conservation.
    Good Day tboehm,
    The system seems to be working well in the area we have chosen as the moose population is VERY healthy for sure. Herd control is not just about taking mature males out - that usually stands true for just about any game species. One of the faults we may have as hunters is our deep love for the game we pursue - and yes females and young share a special place in our hearts, and many, ( like my son ), choose not to harvest them. However, that does not mean its the wise decision for the herd, and taking them legally and with respect has nothing to do with poor ethic's or sportsmanship.
    In our situation my close friend on his once in a lifetime hunt could only get and afford a cow tag. His dream to hunt a moose will "not be about antler size", just a dream to be there and experience the wonders of such a hunt. The guide has a calf only tag and so if the opportunity would arise these are the only options they have.
    I have many wonderful "trophies" mounted - yet I do not consider myself a trophy hunter. I definitely do not consider the definition of sportsmanship to include taking only male animals. Same way with ethic's.
    I take whitetail doe's regularly when I hunt, we are overrun with them - I imagine NC is the same way. You speak of conservation methods - well herd control starts with thinning the females for sure... IL issues "nuisance" tags - several at a time - to landowners - they can shoot deer and have to BURY them immediately. Cannot donate to a food bank or even to another human that may want to eat them. To me THATS pretty hard to swallow - yet it speaks of the need to reduce herd size to keep it in check and healthy. I, for one, could not kill a deer under those guidelines.
    I can appreciate, and respect your input, as I can say I have had many, many a time where I watched a young animal accompanied withs its parent, and elected to pass an opportunity - however taking that animal would not have been wrong either. We all have to live each day making decisions - and we all have different limitations.

Default Ontario Moose Hunt 2007

P1000430.jpg... This will be my fourth moose hunt, 2006 our group took a calf [brother nephew dad and me], 2007 dad and I took a 52" bull, 2008 spotted a big bull but never got a shot. hope to see more game this year I am self guiding [again] on a 35 mile float trip, where no one has hunted in many years, and I will end at the camp we hunted out of in 2008. Hoping to do a Alaska moose and or caribou hunt some day soon.

Leave no foot print.