Thread: Brining and Preserving Herring

Fairbanks Area

Default Brining and Preserving Herring

I have always had a difficult time trying to keep my Herring in good shape while fishing on long extended fishing trips. I have to travel from the Interior to Valdez, then we spend a week at a time camping, hunting, and fishing. By the end of the week my bait cooler would be a little smelly. I have had great luck with brining my bait, so I tried a little different method. I brined it with pickling salt, powder milk, blue food coloring, fresh garlic and anise oil. After it was brined, I packed them into vacum bags in the amount I would fish with at one time and sealed them up and froze them. While out I kept them on ice in a sealed bait only cooler. I would only take out one pack at a time to use. It worked very well with both halibut and salmon.

I use the same recipe. It's posted on the Salmon University website. Tried it last year. It really makes a huge difference. I had them in a small cooler the whole week we were in Valdez, no ice and they were just fine. Really works!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

A good brine can make all the difference in herring quality over a longer trip. Fresher always seems to produce better for me, but a good brine recipe is a good thing to have.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!