Thread: troopers give tickets a Jim creek, adn article

Default troopers give tickets a Jim creek, adn article

Some enforcement a jim creek.
    ADN article.
    Next some road work ??

http://www.adn.com/2010/08/04/139627...link=email_msg

I say absolutely not to the road work. There's far to many people down there as it is. If they put a road in, that place will be stupid. They might as well open it up to dipnetting if they do that cuz that's what the crowds will look like. Thousands of people lined up along the bank snagging whatever moves. Kudos to the troopers for being a little more vigilant out there though. I saw some horofic stuff down there the one and only time I went there this year (or ever for that matter).
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Maybe some road work would allow more of the family fishing type people have access
    & some "lead by example" pressure would help clean it up.
    I mean if Mom, Dad & grandpa are there, sometimes it helps scale down the "show off" & illegal behavior.
    Maybe they'd just move to a new location. That would work too.

I see your logic, but I'm skeptical. Anywhere there is easy access around here, it brings the crowds en mass and with that comes hoards of violators. They don't care if the family is out there. The illegal activity I fear will come with easier access will just drive the family types away. I do hope I am wrong, and your theory would prove true. But looking at everywhere else in the state where good fishing is easily accessed, I don't think putting a road in would be a wise decision.

I can't speak for Jim Creek, but look at Ship Creek. There is ample "road access" (to put it mildly), it's in the middle of Anchorage with a million tourists walking by etc. and snagging is blatant and rampant. I was there last week at 6:00 p.m. surrounded by a group of kids complete with a "look out" on the footbridge who would direct his cohorts to the silvers, who would then unleash the flip-and-rip on the selected target.

The problem isn't access, its ethics (or lack thereof).

Well, I just pray that the road gets extended and a bridge be a part of the project. Not too many fishermen go on up to Wolf Point to take advantage that area has to offer. Might help take some of the pressure off the fish going into Jim Creek, if others had access to the fish going in further up the Knik.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

my take on Jim creek is that it wotn matter if there is a roda there or not, most people have a 4x4 and can make it back there, I have seen little cars out there so the road isn't going to matter, other then people who dont' know how to get there might try.
    But the one thing that does come to mind is if there is a road it will make it easier for troopers, so maybe it will help the people out there who don't follow the rules get cited??????? Who knows, I for one will continue to keep driving by as there are better places to fish with less people. And I don't mind the srive to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    I can't speak for Jim Creek, but look at Ship Creek. There is ample "road access" (to put it mildly), it's in the middle of Anchorage with a million tourists walking by etc. and snagging is blatant and rampant. I was there last week at 6:00 p.m. surrounded by a group of kids complete with a "look out" on the footbridge who would direct his cohorts to the silvers, who would then unleash the flip-and-rip on the selected target.

The problem isn't access, its ethics (or lack thereof).
    Ageed, but I think giving easier access to a place like jim creek that already has a reputation for being able to do whatever you want
    would encourage more "ethically challenged" people to go there. Yes you can make it there in a 4x4, but it does discourage a few people from going. Putting in a maintained road would increase pressure there. Akres had a very good idea though. Put a bridge in over the creek so people would stop driving through the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Ageed, but I think giving easier access to a place like jim creek that already has a reputation for being able to do whatever you want
    would encourage more "ethically challenged" people to go there. Yes you can make it there in a 4x4, but it does discourage a few people from going. Putting in a maintained road would increase pressure there. Akres had a very good idea though. Put a bridge in over the creek so people would stop driving through the creek.
    My point exactly.

Here's the real problem: too many dumb*****es, not enough birth control

The Knik Public Use Area Plan does state that building a road on state lands from the parking lot down to the Knik is on the idea table. This is the Sexton Trail I believe or another route near by.
    However converting the Glacier trail (at the east end of the parking area) to a road would be an issue since that trail is an RS2477 that crosses Eklutna land. I would find it hard to believe Eklutna would allow a road on that easement.

Read pages 7 to 12 of the above management plan to learn about the many possible futures for Jim Creek.

An effort is being made. We can do our part. I agree, all fishing abuse won't be prevented,
    but more & more cell phone/ digital camera videos are becoming the norm &
    helping keep folks honest.
    Stand off a ways with a camera, people see you.

I noticed, last year, that at night, things tend to get a little more wild.
    Might be why our fishing hours are being regulated.

Anyway, I thought the trooper presence was good, needed & helpful.

A road to Jim Creek. Takes half the fun out of going to Jim Creek. The 4-wheeler ride TO the creek is half the fun.

1. Say goodbye to the lifted F-250 crowd
    2. Say hello to the subaru crowd

Maybe it will be similar to the change that occured with the little su when they put a road in.
    Good or bad, who knows.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.