Thread: Turkey

Default Turkey

Took these picture this past Spring in Eagle River area. Eastern Wild Turkey

Could have taken it if you had wanted to. Pretty neat! I saw some in North Pole a few years back. Posted the story the other day on the quail thread. It was a big tom, a jake, and several hens. I didn't have my gun or else I woulda been eating some big bird!

Looks like a turkey dinner to me!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I have one that looks nearly like that, but with a bigger snood, and a red and purple head thats been hanging around my chicken coop. I think I may try and catch him for this fall :-)
    AKShawn

Get out your bow. There are some in Girdwood and on the Kenai too.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

AHHHH... dont shoot them yet. let the chicks get older so they will live on their own.
    Gotta think future here... Id love to see a lot of Turkey up here.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

This hen was with her chicks off by herself. There was a flock of 7 turkeys there that day. I know I saw 2 jakes, have been watching them for 3 years now.

I'm guessing this is another example of someone importing a non-indigenous game bird and a few getting out. I'm no biologist, but I can't imagine turkeys causing much damage to the ecosystem, and provided they can withstand the winters here I'd love to see the population boom. I spent a year in Afghanistan watching countless hours of recorded hunting videos (Thanks to whomever sent them!). Many were of turkey hunts. I've never hunted the birds myself, but I'd sure jump at the opportunity!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

We have about 30+ turkeys living here in Peters Creek area for the last 5 or 6 years. Started with the few escapees and now they are a full fledge flock. One neighbor has caught and raised a few chicks over the years for personal use if you know what I mean. Small game is a very good indicator of the local predator population.

Right after I posted this was out for a ride in the neighborhood and spotted 2 hens and at least 15, 2 month old chicks with them.

I just came back from Peters Creek and saw a bunch. Too bad they weren't a quarter mile up the trail...