Thread: ?? About a 1927 Win. 94 - .30 WCF

Default ?? About a 1927 Win. 94 - .30 WCF

I've got the opportunity to pick up a 1927 M94. The gun isn't in awesome shape, it's missing the fore grip and the metal is decent but not amazing. There's a little evidence of pitting but otherwise it looks good. The price tag is $175, I'm hoping to restore it a bit, get some new wood for it and hopefully have a fun rifle when I'm done. I'm not real familiar with leverguns so my questions are, what should I look for that could be an issue? And does $175 seem too high?

I know this isn't 100% "Gunsmithing" but I figured the people on here would know the most about restoring old guns.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Look at the bore and make sure the hammer cocks when racking the action. It should be purchased as a user not a collector. The price is inline for a beater
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I agree. There's a lot to be said for having a beater/shooter rather than a collector, but to qualify it should have a great bore, no matter what the outside looks like. I'm kinda down on safe queens, which is what becomes of more guns than deserve to be retired. Getting a beater lets you enjoy the model with a clear conscience. And they're a whole lot more enjoyable going bang and poking holes than sitting in some speculator's safe collecting dust. I regularly shoot 25-20, 25-35, 32 WCF, and 38-56. But there aren't many speculators that would go near my guns, great as they shoot. Fine by me. I'm the one having all the fun!

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about it for collectors value. More along the lines of something fun to shoot, and an interesting gun. It is a beater right now, it will probably always be a beater, but I think with some new wood and a little tinkering it could atleast be a decent rifle. Thanks for the info.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.